Swimming history - flip turns and goggles

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone remember: When were flip turns in free style invented/introduced in competitive swimming? When did goggles become 'standard equipment' for swimmers? Thanks!
Parents
  • I remember wearing goggles as a young age-grouper in community summer league swimming in the late 70's. The gaskets back then were foam, and would come unglued from the lenses fairly easily. I swam through the late 80's, came back to swimming through Masters a couple years ago. I remember the first time I did an old-school backstroke pivot turn, the others on the team (all of whom were either younger or adult-onset swimmers) were like "what the hell was THAT?" Same thing happened the first time they saw my "semi-pike" start technique.
  • I remember wearing goggles as a young age-grouper in community summer league swimming in the late 70's. The gaskets back then were foam, and would come unglued from the lenses fairly easily. I swam through the late 80's, came back to swimming through Masters a couple years ago. I remember the first time I did an old-school backstroke pivot turn, the others on the team (all of whom were either younger or adult-onset swimmers) were like "what the hell was THAT?" Same thing happened the first time they saw my "semi-pike" start technique.
Children
No Data