Swimming history - flip turns and goggles

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone remember: When were flip turns in free style invented/introduced in competitive swimming? When did goggles become 'standard equipment' for swimmers? Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Not sure about flip turns but I saw my first pair of goggles in 1968. They looked like 2 plastic thimbles held together with a rubber band. A few other historic swimming oddities. We used to swim 220 and 440 yard races to equate to 200 and 400 meter distances- finishing in the middle of the pool. That ended in the early 60s. Breaststroke was added to the IM in 1958. Up till then it was fly back free only. You have breaststroke and butterfly mixed up. Butterfly was not accepted as a stroke until 1953. So it was butterfly that was added to thmedley not breaststroke which was already inclided
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Not sure about flip turns but I saw my first pair of goggles in 1968. They looked like 2 plastic thimbles held together with a rubber band. A few other historic swimming oddities. We used to swim 220 and 440 yard races to equate to 200 and 400 meter distances- finishing in the middle of the pool. That ended in the early 60s. Breaststroke was added to the IM in 1958. Up till then it was fly back free only. You have breaststroke and butterfly mixed up. Butterfly was not accepted as a stroke until 1953. So it was butterfly that was added to thmedley not breaststroke which was already inclided
Children
No Data