Swimming history - flip turns and goggles

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone remember: When were flip turns in free style invented/introduced in competitive swimming? When did goggles become 'standard equipment' for swimmers? Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Just saw a video on youtube of the 84 Olympic trials- men 200 back(I'd normally post it, but it's late and I'm tired). Anyway, you can see Jesse Vassallo kicking a few dolphins on his start which was unusual compared to the other swimmers. Thanks. YouTube- 1984 Olympic Trials 200 Backstroke is the link (it's not late so I'm not tired :)). Seems that Lane 1 (Jesse Vassallo) and Lane 4 (Rick Carey) both did a few dolphin kicks at the start (not after flip turns, though?), and they turned out to be the 2nd and 1st places--perhaps owing to the dolphin kicks! Also noticed the differences between then and now: a) before the race started, they had some easy swims as warm-up, as opposed to nowadays swimmers just jump in and get ready. b) it seems they stroke more frequently (more stroke counts) than the swimmers in the next video clip with Peirsol (not sure what year that was).
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Just saw a video on youtube of the 84 Olympic trials- men 200 back(I'd normally post it, but it's late and I'm tired). Anyway, you can see Jesse Vassallo kicking a few dolphins on his start which was unusual compared to the other swimmers. Thanks. YouTube- 1984 Olympic Trials 200 Backstroke is the link (it's not late so I'm not tired :)). Seems that Lane 1 (Jesse Vassallo) and Lane 4 (Rick Carey) both did a few dolphin kicks at the start (not after flip turns, though?), and they turned out to be the 2nd and 1st places--perhaps owing to the dolphin kicks! Also noticed the differences between then and now: a) before the race started, they had some easy swims as warm-up, as opposed to nowadays swimmers just jump in and get ready. b) it seems they stroke more frequently (more stroke counts) than the swimmers in the next video clip with Peirsol (not sure what year that was).
Children
No Data