Swimming history - flip turns and goggles

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone remember: When were flip turns in free style invented/introduced in competitive swimming? When did goggles become 'standard equipment' for swimmers? Thanks!
Parents
  • The turn rule was changed about 1965 so that you didn't have to touch with your hand first in free.Until then many people didn't flip,especially in the longer distances as the speed difference wasn't worth the air lost.After the rule change everyone flipped in free.I wore black rubber goggles starting in about 1966 in High School.One of the cool guys on the teams tarted wearing them,so it was suddenly OK to wear them.I saw my first pair of goggles like what we wear now in about 1970(if my memory was better I wouldn't have to say" about".)
  • The turn rule was changed about 1965 so that you didn't have to touch with your hand first in free.Until then many people didn't flip,especially in the longer distances as the speed difference wasn't worth the air lost.After the rule change everyone flipped in free.I wore black rubber goggles starting in about 1966 in High School.One of the cool guys on the teams tarted wearing them,so it was suddenly OK to wear them.I saw my first pair of goggles like what we wear now in about 1970(if my memory was better I wouldn't have to say" about".)
Children
No Data