Swimming history - flip turns and goggles

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone remember: When were flip turns in free style invented/introduced in competitive swimming? When did goggles become 'standard equipment' for swimmers? Thanks!
Parents
  • Does anyone remember: When were flip turns in free style invented/introduced in competitive swimming? When did goggles become 'standard equipment' for swimmers? Thanks! I think goggles for swimming purposes were first in use way back in the early part of the 20th century. I found an image of Gertrude Ederle of New York who became the first woman to swim the English Channel in 1926. It looks like she was wearing ski goggles, so I'm not sure these count as "swimming" goggles. :) en.wikipedia.org/.../Gertrude_Ederle 1.bp.blogspot.com/.../0806channelswimB.jpg I swam in high school in southern California during the early '70s and no one on my team wore goggles. There were a couple of guys on the men's team that did wear them. I recall they were kind of expensive back then. I had super long hair then, so I always wore a cap (which I still have, by the way -- it's rubber and is close to completely falling apart), but goggles would have been nice.
  • Does anyone remember: When were flip turns in free style invented/introduced in competitive swimming? When did goggles become 'standard equipment' for swimmers? Thanks! I think goggles for swimming purposes were first in use way back in the early part of the 20th century. I found an image of Gertrude Ederle of New York who became the first woman to swim the English Channel in 1926. It looks like she was wearing ski goggles, so I'm not sure these count as "swimming" goggles. :) en.wikipedia.org/.../Gertrude_Ederle 1.bp.blogspot.com/.../0806channelswimB.jpg I swam in high school in southern California during the early '70s and no one on my team wore goggles. There were a couple of guys on the men's team that did wear them. I recall they were kind of expensive back then. I had super long hair then, so I always wore a cap (which I still have, by the way -- it's rubber and is close to completely falling apart), but goggles would have been nice.
Children
No Data