9 Year Old Marvel What? But How?

Former Member
Former Member
Hey everyone, wasn't sure were to put this questions so I decided to place it here. I also wanted to get some opinions from knowlageable swimmers like yourselves so I hope you don't mind me asking this. Here's the story.. My daughter is 9 years old and has been competing for about 8 months but taking swimming lessons since the age of 3. She's extremely descent for her age (about 35 seconds 50 free, 43 seconds 50 fly, 45 seconds 50 back and 43 seconds 50 ***) just to give you an idea. I decided to pull her off the current team as I feel he was not improving enough as her coach did very little technique training and put her in private lessons with someone I think can really help her learn the little things to make her faster. Anyways, here is the other thing. During her swim meets I noticed another 9 year old girl who is swimming with times such as 32 seconds 50 free, 32 seconds 50 fly, 38 seconds 50 *** ect and could not believe it. Keep in mind this girl JUST turned 9! My question is this, How is it that a 9 year old child can swim times as fast as many of the top 11, 12 or 13 year olds? Is this a freak of nature? Is it just good coaching? Physical strength? or what. I did not think it was possible for kids this age to swim so fast. Is there any hope for my daughter to "catch up" to kids like this? I would like to know everyones opinion on youth marvels like this. I believe this kids has gotten as fast as she will get but that's my own personal opinion. She is sort of short and perhaps as she matures other kids will eventually get taller and stronger and catch up to her times? If you were in my shoes what would YOU do with your daughter to help her attain these kinds of times? Thanks
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Depending on your level of training (in any sport) would also help to determine how much you trust someone to teach your child technique and to train them. IMO. Finding the level of coaching that you are talking about is many times hard at these ages. Not to say they aren't quality coaches (everyone has something to share, and everyone can always learn more). But be aware that as she grows older and levels herself, she will find different levels in coaching. Also, different people give different quality in different areas. Let me explain: A Flyer would benefit learning from Phelps as he won the gold in fly (yes, others too, I know) at the olympics. But if I wanted to learn backstroke techniques, I would to Aaron Perisol. So, RAC, take advantage of any clinics and camps that you possibly can. You daughter will learn SO MUCH MORE getting info from different people. Thank You!!!! As my kids are 1 and 2 I will keep this to heart as I wish I could coach them everyday. What? You don't think they'll be swimmers? Blasphemy! :bump: I totally understand what RAC is saying. I had a friend in summer league who would show up once (if that) a week, and own every sprint record. It obviously pissed people off because they worked SO HARD and he didn't. They just could only go so far. Sad that he didn't work, cause he would have been SO GOOD. Your daughter sounds humble. Sounds like she works hard and is very proud of her accomplishments. Yet, she doesn't like the spotlight. Most girls her age don't. But being proud and humble is a good thing. sounds like one great daughter. Congratulations. Thnx. Yur right, she is very humble sometimes too much so. Anyways, she has practice right after school tonight and I'll remember some of the good advice here. You won't see me hovering, screaming, questioning, rolling my eyes, sighing, mocking, banging, waving my arms or any of that. I will do what I have always done, sit and watch and not say anything when practice is over.:applaud:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Depending on your level of training (in any sport) would also help to determine how much you trust someone to teach your child technique and to train them. IMO. Finding the level of coaching that you are talking about is many times hard at these ages. Not to say they aren't quality coaches (everyone has something to share, and everyone can always learn more). But be aware that as she grows older and levels herself, she will find different levels in coaching. Also, different people give different quality in different areas. Let me explain: A Flyer would benefit learning from Phelps as he won the gold in fly (yes, others too, I know) at the olympics. But if I wanted to learn backstroke techniques, I would to Aaron Perisol. So, RAC, take advantage of any clinics and camps that you possibly can. You daughter will learn SO MUCH MORE getting info from different people. Thank You!!!! As my kids are 1 and 2 I will keep this to heart as I wish I could coach them everyday. What? You don't think they'll be swimmers? Blasphemy! :bump: I totally understand what RAC is saying. I had a friend in summer league who would show up once (if that) a week, and own every sprint record. It obviously pissed people off because they worked SO HARD and he didn't. They just could only go so far. Sad that he didn't work, cause he would have been SO GOOD. Your daughter sounds humble. Sounds like she works hard and is very proud of her accomplishments. Yet, she doesn't like the spotlight. Most girls her age don't. But being proud and humble is a good thing. sounds like one great daughter. Congratulations. Thnx. Yur right, she is very humble sometimes too much so. Anyways, she has practice right after school tonight and I'll remember some of the good advice here. You won't see me hovering, screaming, questioning, rolling my eyes, sighing, mocking, banging, waving my arms or any of that. I will do what I have always done, sit and watch and not say anything when practice is over.:applaud:
Children
No Data