Swimming and arthritis?

Former Member
Former Member
I believe swimming is good for people with arthritis (though there seems to be saying that people with rheumatoid arthritis should avoid swimming?) . I wonder if it helps prevent it? Are lifelong swimmers less likely to develop arthritis in old age? Funny how I thought of this question. Yesterday I saw my friend's cat. She used to be a very active cat, but now at 15 she's walking like an old lady and had pains due to arthritis. It was sad to see her in this state knowing what she's like when younger. :( (My question pertains to human beings, though ;))
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    I feel swimming is very beneficial for people with arthritis. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 15 years (I am 30yo). I started swimming at 18 which was 3 years after my diagnosis. I still swim to this day doing Masters workouts. I usually wake up in the morning very stiff and in a lot of pain. After I get going, I hit the pool and my joints feel SO much better. But, having arthritis means I have to "respect the pain" and don't overdue my joints. Swimming is the only exercise I get, as I cannot run on a treadmill, ride a bike, or use the free weights....they are just too hard on my joints. :drown:
  • Former Member
    Sorry to know that you had arthritis at such a young age, but it's nice to know swimming helped so much! I seem to have heard that it's important you swim in warm, not cold, water?
  • Former Member
    I have never had a problem swimming in warm or cold water. My regular pool usually runs about 72-75 degrees. I also never had a problem surfing in January either, even though I wore a wetsuit. For some reason, water temps never bothered my RA. I can, however, predict when a storm is coming in as my joints are very sensitive to air pressure changes!! Oh, and I can sometimes predict earthquakes!!
  • Former Member
    I, too, have lost most of the range of motion in most, if not all, of my joints due to RA. Swimming allows me to keep and utilize what range I have left. Also, I can only stretch when I'm in the pool. I use the resistance of the water to stretch out legs, etc without overstretching or locking up my joints. Even on days when my RA is flaring, I will get a good, slow-paced workout in and feel better for the rest of the day.
  • To keep joints & muscles moving is the goal of all of us.
  • I have arthritis in my knees. If I am out of the water for six months, get back in, I will have inflamatory issues for a week or so. Overall, it doesn't bother me that much. But, I will have my inflammed episodes here and there.
  • Former Member
    I have arthritis in my knees and hands, I can't say swimming regularly prevented the onset, but I can say it nicely ameliorates the symptoms.
  • Former Member
    Lainey - Have you ever tried a neoprene sleeve? I've used one on my leg with some success when the arthritis has been particularly bad. I imagine it can make your stroke a little wonky but might be worth a try.
  • Former Member
    Thank you, Deep. It has never dawned on me to try a neoprene sleeve. I will definately look into that. If it keeps the elbows warm and from aching then it will be worth a wonky stroke... like it isn't already from the permanently bent arms! Thanks again! Lainey
  • Former Member
    About 14 years ago I broke both of my arms at my elbows. Looking at x-rays you can see wires, screws and what seems to be a pulley in each arm. As a result of the break I don't have full range of motion in either arm, and I've developed arthritis in both elbows. Swimming in cold water makes my elbows HURT. Sometimes the cold water is so painful I feel a little quesie. Water temp of 80 is about as 'cool' as I can tolerate before I'm in pain. Yes, swimming helps keep my achie breakie gimp arms from becoming stiffer. And yes, I have to respect the pain as well. If I do really long workouts, or a lot of pull sets I will pay for it... can usually feel the consequences before I get out of the pool. Lainey