Early-Vertical-Forearm

Former Member
Former Member
How many use the early vertical forearm method? How many believe it is less prone to shoulder injuries? I tried it for the first time today and it wore my butt out! I did feel like I had more surface area to pull with and the force felt more horizontally directed toward my feet. I have a lot of work to do if I continue to adopt this stroke method.:bolt: www.youtube.com/watch
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    I tried to do EVF today at practice. I wore me out! I never fully recovered from the warm-up set (6 x 125's descening). We then went into a 2400 distance set, and I was fatigued. Is EVF this tiring at first?
  • Former Member
    Is EVF this tiring at first? It could yes. For various reasons. A *try* should last several weeks ideally.
  • Racing the grandson 100yd FS this Friday! Georgio :bliss:Look forward to hearing you kicked your grandson's butt:)
  • Former Member
    EVF is several weeks along now and working without problems. Body is still adapting and different muscles developing which will probably take several more months. Still doing 2 lb dumbell weight training warmup before swim. Developing a good two beat kick to go along with it. It's incredible to be refining my swimming skills after so many years in the water! Racing the grandson 100yd FS this Friday! Georgio :bliss:
  • Former Member
    From my experience it isin't an overnight process for the body to adapt. If the purpose is to "load up" each stroke as opposed to doing a lot of "empty" strokes, you exert a lot more resistance on you muscles and in a different maner. It's a radical change for me. I compare it to paddling a canoe with only half the paddle in the water before. Good luck and I would suggest introducing it gradually, either by reducing number of swim workouts, or gradually moving your elbows higher over a period of weeks. My overnight transition attempt hurt and was a set back for a few weeks. :badday: Good luck with it and post how it works for you. Georgio
  • Former Member
    My Early Vertical Forearm stroke has evolved to my elbows barely below the water surface .....with the forearm at about 5 - 10 deg. to perpendicular to the bottom.....creating some lift. I will concentrate on perpendicular (no lift) to see what the outcome. No pain, all gain......with back, chest and more major muscle groups doing the work......I'm flying through the water! :banana: Bamiller.......I felt like I was going to drown the first few lengths when I radically changed my stroke.....then discomfort, advil, physical rehab (at home), and 90 min. workouts 5 days a week for a few weeks ......now I'm enjoying refining the most efficient EVF stroke for me.
  • I have another EVF question. I have developed what seems to be an early and powerfull EVF stroke. A coach, who I don't think knows what EVF is, commented that I am dropping my elbows after my extension. I can see my elbow drop 1 - 2 inches immediately before my fingertips and forearm rotate to an early vertical position. It feels almost as though the drop elbow is the start of the mechanics to drop my forearm early in the stroke. I'm experimenting with attempting to keep the elbow at least level prior to rotating elbow to early forearm. Of course it feels awkward, irritates my shoulder a little, throws off my timing and doesn't seem to provide as early a forearm or as much power. Of course with time, that could change and it could be an improvement. Any input and advice is appreciated. Georgio Funny you should mention that because I have the exact same issue with my left arm. We discussed it here; I include some video of myself. Catch question - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums
  • Former Member
    I have another EVF question. I have developed what seems to be an early and powerfull EVF stroke. A coach, who I don't think knows what EVF is, commented that I am dropping my elbows after my extension. I can see my elbow drop 1 - 2 inches immediately before my fingertips and forearm rotate to an early vertical position. It feels almost as though the drop elbow is the start of the mechanics to drop my forearm early in the stroke. I'm experimenting with attempting to keep the elbow at least level prior to rotating elbow to early forearm. Of course it feels awkward, irritates my shoulder a little, throws off my timing and doesn't seem to provide as early a forearm or as much power. Of course with time, that could change and it could be an improvement. Any input and advice is appreciated. Georgio
  • Former Member
    I have another EVF question. I have developed what seems to be an early and powerfull EVF stroke. A coach, who I don't think knows what EVF is, commented that I am dropping my elbows after my extension. I can see my elbow drop 1 - 2 inches immediately before my fingertips and forearm rotate to an early vertical position. It feels almost as though the drop elbow is the start of the mechanics to drop my forearm early in the stroke. I'm experimenting with attempting to keep the elbow at least level prior to rotating elbow to early forearm. Of course it feels awkward, irritates my shoulder a little, throws off my timing and doesn't seem to provide as early a forearm or as much power. Of course with time, that could change and it could be an improvement. Any input and advice is appreciated. Georgio At this point I'd have to see a video of your stroke to offer you any meaningful comment. I'm sure someone here might be able to offer some advice.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    So here is a little light on the anatomical make up of the EVF stroke. By popping up your elbow before you take your pull, you engage your lats and then use them along with your pecs for your power. This is a great relief for the shoulder since you are using bigger muscle groups in addition to just your deltoids. :applaud: Continue to practice this technique and you'll find yourself getting stronger and pulling more water. By popping your shoulder up, does this mean bringing your shoulder closer to your ear? I have been really trying to work on this EVF/High Elbow thing and am really starting to have problems with my left shoulder making all kinds of clicking and clacking noises, plus some pretty gnarly pain when pulling. I don't have the pain during sprints, but I think I am not focusing as much on EVF then.