Early-Vertical-Forearm

Former Member
Former Member
How many use the early vertical forearm method? How many believe it is less prone to shoulder injuries? I tried it for the first time today and it wore my butt out! I did feel like I had more surface area to pull with and the force felt more horizontally directed toward my feet. I have a lot of work to do if I continue to adopt this stroke method.:bolt: www.youtube.com/watch
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    "You could be hurting yourself unnecessarily", I probably did TomT and thanks for your offer. I went too extreme too fast because I was too impatient when I did 6 sessions in 4 days changing my stroke so radically, I could hardly make a length at a time. My stroke looks more like this now: YouTube - Swim Fast - Freestyle with Lindsay Benko
  • The Benko video made things a lot clearer for me. Today in practice I really felt like I was "grabbing" more water but I knew my hands were not perfectly "vertical". Rather they were slightly angled under my body. Benko does the same thing, despite what she says on the video (check out around 1:30 in the video posted above, and again around 5:15). Maybe this is what everybody meant all along, but for some reason I thought I was trying to keep my full forearm pointing towards the bottom of the pool. Is the key to EVF to get that forearm "paddle" as fully engaged as quickly as possible? That's more a function of the angle of your elbow than the direction you are pointing your hand, right? Or is it a matter of physics that keeping the forearm actually "vertical" is actually more efficient? I found that trying to keep my forearm "vertical" put more strain on my shoulders while angling them slightly under my body didn't. No idea if I'm doing any of this right, but it felt most "right" when I felt like I was trying to "grab" and pull in as much water as possible. Picture the winner of a hand of poker reaching out and "grabbing" all of the chips on the table. Does any of this sound right? Thanks much!
  • It is my understanding that the key point is to be using your hand and forearm as a single propulsive surface and to keep it at right angles to the propulsive direction for as long as possible.The exact orientation to the bottom of the pool is not that important except as a visualization tool.
  • Former Member
    Arms worked fine today and was able push again without discomfort for 70 minutes. Got some sprint 50s in. Will continue my exercises, but think I'm out of the woods and will be pushing my EVF harder later in the week. Need to be ready to race my grandson next week!:cane:
  • Former Member
    The Benko video made things a lot clearer for me. Today in practice I really felt like I was "grabbing" more water but I knew my hands were not perfectly "vertical". Rather they were slightly angled under my body. Benko does the same thing, despite what she says on the video (check out around 1:30 in the video posted above, and again around 5:15). Maybe this is what everybody meant all along, but for some reason I thought I was trying to keep my full forearm pointing towards the bottom of the pool. That's more a function of the angle of your elbow than the direction you are pointing your hand, right? Or is it a matter of physics that keeping the forearm actually "vertical" is actually more efficient? I found that trying to keep my forearm "vertical" put more strain on my shoulders while angling them slightly under my body didn't. No idea if I'm doing any of this right, but it felt most "right" when I felt like I was trying to "grab" and pull in as much water as possible. Picture the winner of a hand of poker reaching out and "grabbing" all of the chips on the table. Does any of this sound right? Thanks much! Let's begin with the hand. The area of the hand must be as large as possible and stiff. The hand should not bend when it enters the water. The pressure a bent hand asserts at the beginning of the stroke is lost at the most crucial power phase of the stroke when it returns to a straight position. The ability to drop the hand under the elbow early and vertically is determined by shoulder strength and flexibility. The ability to exert the highest level of drag force (pushing back) for the longest time is the key to power and speed. It is necessary for the hand to move out of a straight line pattern to maintain peak drag force ( a vortex behind the hand forms when pulling straight back). Everyone's body is different and requires the individual to adapt a pulling pattern that best suits their strengths and weaknesses. This is why a "coaching-eye" can really help you through some tricky nuances that require attention/correction. Get a good coach that can point out one or two things you can do to improve your pulling pattern then use some isometrics and drills to ingrain those new skills and make them a habit. Good luck.
  • Former Member
    One of the best tools to help perfect your stroke on land is a full length mirror. They also work wonders on the bottom of a swim in place pool. Many hours I have spent infront of a mirror.
  • Former Member
    Good luck, please keep us posted!~
  • Former Member
    "You could be hurting yourself unnecessarily", I probably did TomT and thanks for your offer. I went too extreme too fast because I was too impatient when I did 6 sessions in 4 days changing my stroke so radically, I could hardly make a length at a time. My stroke looks more like this now: YouTube - Swim Fast - Freestyle with Lindsay Benko Great Video
  • Former Member
    EVF comming up comfortably now and adding more and more force. Speed is way up. Continue with the 2lb. dumb bell exercises before every swim to warm up shoulders. Will be ready to race soon! Thanks for all the advice. :bolt: Georgio
  • Former Member
    It is hugely necessary to nurture the shoulders while you are transitioning into this style of freestyle. Good posts on the shoulder exercises. They were the exact exercises I was given from a very expensive, but school sponsored doctor. The one thing to remember throughout this transformation is to keep your kick going. Too many people I talk to about swimming like this, concentrate on the elbow or shoulders and forget the kick. I liken this concentration of learning the proper fast freestyle technique to learning the golf swing. Good luck.