So much faster with a pull buoy

Former Member
Former Member
Can anyone suggest drills to help me swim as fast without a pull buoy as I do with one? I work hard at practice 5 days a week and make incremental gains every so often. But my improvement over the past year can't compare to the amount I improve when I grab a pull buoy. So - I need to be working on my body alignment? Keeping my legs high in the water? Strengthening my abs? I try to work on all of those things but I would really appreciate any drill or workout ideas. Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Swam with the buoy and strap last night and found my feet fish-tailing back and forth. It was interesting, and definitely drove home the fact that I use my feet to stabilize. I am going to keep up with that drill and work on stabilizing from my core. I also thought a lot about rotating on an axle (and taking my legs with me) which felt helpful. Thanks for that suggestion! This thread lead to an actual in person conversation last night after practice, and the main question we all had was this: Do those of you with strong kicks feel a connection between the timing of your kick and the timing of your stroke, or are they independent?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Swam with the buoy and strap last night and found my feet fish-tailing back and forth. It was interesting, and definitely drove home the fact that I use my feet to stabilize. I am going to keep up with that drill and work on stabilizing from my core. I also thought a lot about rotating on an axle (and taking my legs with me) which felt helpful. Thanks for that suggestion! This thread lead to an actual in person conversation last night after practice, and the main question we all had was this: Do those of you with strong kicks feel a connection between the timing of your kick and the timing of your stroke, or are they independent?
Children
No Data