How do you deal with a slow non-stop swimmer in your lane?

Former Member
Former Member
There is a swimmer in our pool whose appearance is "dreaded" by many of us. As soon as she enters your lane and starts her laps, the whole lane gets slowed down for a at least an hour, because, #1, she never stops and never give a chance to others when she's at the end of the pool and is going for another lap while another swimmer had been waiting to start; #2, whenever she encounters someone during the laps (whether in the same or opposite direction), she would continue as if others don't exist, as if it's her own lane and as if she's thinking "get out of my way please"; #3, and that's the most important point: she's slower than all the others in the lane. So everyone else has to slow down because the lane is not so wide, and from time to time you see people try everything they could to get around her, or backstrokers hitting her from behind (and she would still go on like you were just a fly). She usually continues like this for at least one hour, could be 90 minutes. She probably has her rule in mind, to never stop during the lap. That's fine as many of people here do that, but that works only if your speed is comparable to the others sharing the lane. What's the best way to deal with such a fellow swimmer?
Parents
  • I just want to put in a word for slow people. I sympathize with those of you who are fast swimmers. I see you guys at my pool, and I wish I could jump in and keep up with you, do what you do. I know it must be frustrating for folks who compete and/or are fast swimmers, but we're not slow because we're lazy or don't want to go faster. For slow pokes, of which I'm one, it's a matter of ability, and it takes time to build up to swimming at a pace where you aren't getting in anyone's way. For the most part, the folks here on the boards are pretty fast. Most of you have been swimming since you were kids. But that's not true for everyone. Most of us try to be respectful and stick to the slow lane, or swim in our own lane. But if the number of lanes is small and shared by people of varying abilities, it's not possible. I think it's the responsibility of both to reach accommodation, but in particular the faster swimmers because you understand safety and are comfortable in the water, you understand the rules of courtesy, whereas the slow swimmer may not be. I applaud the slow swimmer who can go non-stop, because at this point I can't and it frustrates the heck out of me that I have to keep stopping to catch my breath. It makes me want to cry and quit. AJS62680, that's not a fair comparison. I see a lot of people in the "passing" lane going at or below the speed limit, because they can. For slow swimmers, it's not a because I can attitude. It's because I can't. ScarletSwimmer is right, that everyone has a right to be in the pool. If you want to share your love of the sport and encourage others, then teach the less experienced through your example of kindness and support, not with a grumpy get the heck out of my way you're impeding my progress attitude which, unfortunately, I see in a lot of posts.
  • I just want to put in a word for slow people. I sympathize with those of you who are fast swimmers. I see you guys at my pool, and I wish I could jump in and keep up with you, do what you do. I know it must be frustrating for folks who compete and/or are fast swimmers, but we're not slow because we're lazy or don't want to go faster. For slow pokes, of which I'm one, it's a matter of ability, and it takes time to build up to swimming at a pace where you aren't getting in anyone's way. For the most part, the folks here on the boards are pretty fast. Most of you have been swimming since you were kids. But that's not true for everyone. Most of us try to be respectful and stick to the slow lane, or swim in our own lane. But if the number of lanes is small and shared by people of varying abilities, it's not possible. I think it's the responsibility of both to reach accommodation, but in particular the faster swimmers because you understand safety and are comfortable in the water, you understand the rules of courtesy, whereas the slow swimmer may not be. I applaud the slow swimmer who can go non-stop, because at this point I can't and it frustrates the heck out of me that I have to keep stopping to catch my breath. It makes me want to cry and quit. AJS62680, that's not a fair comparison. I see a lot of people in the "passing" lane going at or below the speed limit, because they can. For slow swimmers, it's not a because I can attitude. It's because I can't. ScarletSwimmer is right, that everyone has a right to be in the pool. If you want to share your love of the sport and encourage others, then teach the less experienced through your example of kindness and support, not with a grumpy get the heck out of my way you're impeding my progress attitude which, unfortunately, I see in a lot of posts.
Children
No Data