Your first masters swim meet

I did it. I finally got the guts to sign up for my first masters swim meet. I am a little nervous (ok a lot nervous!) about it. From what I have read on here, the atmosphere at most places is pretty friendly and welcoming. Would anyone like to share anything with me on what to expect? How different is it than an age group (other than the obvious lack of kids and parents running around) meet or a high school meet? Those are my only meet experiences. I don't think that it is a large meet, but I am a little nervous about how this whole "masters" thing works. Thanks!
Parents
  • I am just not sure in terms of what to expect from older swimmers. I don't want to be that person that is super-competitive when everyone else is relaxed or vice versa. I am swimming in the Frank Clark Masters Open in Greensboro, NC. I am considering swimming the one in Warrenton if this goes well. I am definitely going to try to swim at the Colonies Zone meet at the end of April. Thanks everyone so much for the helpful words. If this is any indication of what folks are like at the meets, I have no reason to worry :) Masters meets are pretty relaxed, especially in season meets. You'll probably find a wide range of ability level. It's hard not to be nervous at your first meet -- I sure was. Just gotta get the first one under your belt and you'll become more relaxed over time. Colonies Zones was also my third meet as a masters swimmer. It's in my home pool. Hope to meet you there in April! Last year, we had an apres party at my house, which was a good way to meet forumites and other swimmers.
  • I am just not sure in terms of what to expect from older swimmers. I don't want to be that person that is super-competitive when everyone else is relaxed or vice versa. I am swimming in the Frank Clark Masters Open in Greensboro, NC. I am considering swimming the one in Warrenton if this goes well. I am definitely going to try to swim at the Colonies Zone meet at the end of April. Thanks everyone so much for the helpful words. If this is any indication of what folks are like at the meets, I have no reason to worry :) Masters meets are pretty relaxed, especially in season meets. You'll probably find a wide range of ability level. It's hard not to be nervous at your first meet -- I sure was. Just gotta get the first one under your belt and you'll become more relaxed over time. Colonies Zones was also my third meet as a masters swimmer. It's in my home pool. Hope to meet you there in April! Last year, we had an apres party at my house, which was a good way to meet forumites and other swimmers.
Children
No Data