Your first masters swim meet

I did it. I finally got the guts to sign up for my first masters swim meet. I am a little nervous (ok a lot nervous!) about it. From what I have read on here, the atmosphere at most places is pretty friendly and welcoming. Would anyone like to share anything with me on what to expect? How different is it than an age group (other than the obvious lack of kids and parents running around) meet or a high school meet? Those are my only meet experiences. I don't think that it is a large meet, but I am a little nervous about how this whole "masters" thing works. Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    If you're experiencing 'good' nervousness about doing your best, then let those butterflies do their trick! :) But if you are nervous about doing the wrong thing, swimming slower than others, or otherwise looking foolish, then put those thoughts right out of your head! You will be so, so pleased at how inclusive these events are. An example from the Auburn meet a few weeks ago: In the first one or two heats of each event there were usually a few folks starting in the water or diving off the deck because they couldn't or wouldn't climb up on the blocks. Then there were folks diving off the blocks for the first time in their lives! There were folks doing questionable butterfly and breaststroke manuevres. And then there were folks in the latest tech suits going for USMS records. We're all in it together. Have fun!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    If you're experiencing 'good' nervousness about doing your best, then let those butterflies do their trick! :) But if you are nervous about doing the wrong thing, swimming slower than others, or otherwise looking foolish, then put those thoughts right out of your head! You will be so, so pleased at how inclusive these events are. An example from the Auburn meet a few weeks ago: In the first one or two heats of each event there were usually a few folks starting in the water or diving off the deck because they couldn't or wouldn't climb up on the blocks. Then there were folks diving off the blocks for the first time in their lives! There were folks doing questionable butterfly and breaststroke manuevres. And then there were folks in the latest tech suits going for USMS records. We're all in it together. Have fun!
Children
No Data