Your first masters swim meet

I did it. I finally got the guts to sign up for my first masters swim meet. I am a little nervous (ok a lot nervous!) about it. From what I have read on here, the atmosphere at most places is pretty friendly and welcoming. Would anyone like to share anything with me on what to expect? How different is it than an age group (other than the obvious lack of kids and parents running around) meet or a high school meet? Those are my only meet experiences. I don't think that it is a large meet, but I am a little nervous about how this whole "masters" thing works. Thanks!
Parents
  • My first Masters meet was in 2007, and it was both different from what I remembered about meets and fun. It was a small one day meet with two sessions. events were only 50 and 100 with 4x50 Medley and free relays. it was different in that between races, it was more like a social gathering rather than a meet. when I went back in 2008 to the same meet, it was the same people and same social atmosphere. I didn't make it to this years meet at that pool, but one of our newbies (age group 50-54) went and she had so much fun, she's going with us to our biggest meet of the year. it had been nearly 30 yrs since she last raced, but it didn't effect her day. she only swam the 50 /100 *** and did well in my eyes. 50 - 43.00 and in the 100 - 1:33.18. we've been working on her starts, turns and underwater technic so in 3 weeks we think she can get down around 41 and 1:30. she had only stood on the starting blocks 4 times before her race. Next year she'll be in the 55-59 and I think if she continues to have fun with it can easily go under 40 in the 50.
  • My first Masters meet was in 2007, and it was both different from what I remembered about meets and fun. It was a small one day meet with two sessions. events were only 50 and 100 with 4x50 Medley and free relays. it was different in that between races, it was more like a social gathering rather than a meet. when I went back in 2008 to the same meet, it was the same people and same social atmosphere. I didn't make it to this years meet at that pool, but one of our newbies (age group 50-54) went and she had so much fun, she's going with us to our biggest meet of the year. it had been nearly 30 yrs since she last raced, but it didn't effect her day. she only swam the 50 /100 *** and did well in my eyes. 50 - 43.00 and in the 100 - 1:33.18. we've been working on her starts, turns and underwater technic so in 3 weeks we think she can get down around 41 and 1:30. she had only stood on the starting blocks 4 times before her race. Next year she'll be in the 55-59 and I think if she continues to have fun with it can easily go under 40 in the 50.
Children
No Data