Training in hot water and racing in cold water.

I need some advice from those that train in warm water temps (85 degrees and above) and go to meets where the water temp is 78. This is usually quite a shock to my body and can cause my muscles to tighten up. Any advice on how to acclimate to cooler water temps before the meet? There are only 2 indoor pools in a 30 mile radius and both pools are kept at about 87. I have no choice but to train in this and complaining to the management about the high temps seems to make no difference
  • There are some great threads on cold water training on the marathonswimming.org forums. Once you get there, put in Cold Water into the search box and you'll be able to come up with some good discussions. It's probably do-able to go from 65 to 57, but there are things you can do to help mitigate such as cold showers and other things. Good luck!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Apology for pushing this, but is it possible to train in 65 and race in 57 for marathon distance? Am intense cold surge sustaining for a month is all needed to bring down the sea from 65 to 57 before the race day, just like what's happening in the U.S. right now. The best situation would definitely be training in 60 and racing in 60, but as we hope for the best, we have to prepare for the worst as well.