Training in hot water and racing in cold water.

I need some advice from those that train in warm water temps (85 degrees and above) and go to meets where the water temp is 78. This is usually quite a shock to my body and can cause my muscles to tighten up. Any advice on how to acclimate to cooler water temps before the meet? There are only 2 indoor pools in a 30 mile radius and both pools are kept at about 87. I have no choice but to train in this and complaining to the management about the high temps seems to make no difference
Parents
  • I tend to use an extended warm up at meets, and then try to get wet behind the blocks to reduce the shock value. Elise, you make it sound like you dive in cold turkey for your races! Hardcore! Mr. Redbird already mentioned my two ideas. If you're finding breathing difficult just after entry, the splash water idea is going to help out a bunch. Make sure you get your chest and back, as this is where your breathing and circulation organs are.
  • I tend to use an extended warm up at meets, and then try to get wet behind the blocks to reduce the shock value. Elise, you make it sound like you dive in cold turkey for your races! Hardcore! Mr. Redbird already mentioned my two ideas. If you're finding breathing difficult just after entry, the splash water idea is going to help out a bunch. Make sure you get your chest and back, as this is where your breathing and circulation organs are.
Children
No Data