Training in hot water and racing in cold water.

I need some advice from those that train in warm water temps (85 degrees and above) and go to meets where the water temp is 78. This is usually quite a shock to my body and can cause my muscles to tighten up. Any advice on how to acclimate to cooler water temps before the meet? There are only 2 indoor pools in a 30 mile radius and both pools are kept at about 87. I have no choice but to train in this and complaining to the management about the high temps seems to make no difference
Parents
  • Elise - I swim/train in a community center pool and they run it hot for the folks with arthritis and the kids lessons. Training in it makes one work harder to figure out how to cool down. That is probably one of the adjustments, having to deal with staying warm in the cooler water. I tend to use an extended warm up at meets, and then try to get wet behind the blocks to reduce the shock value. Don't know if this helps, but I understand your issue well enough. sounds like what I should do. Thanks! I will try a little longer warm-up. ourswimmer - What you do sounds like a good idea as well. I may try filling a tub and sitting/lying down in 78 degree water. Glad others out there can relate. I keep hoping there is some positive training effect from swimming in hot water.
  • Elise - I swim/train in a community center pool and they run it hot for the folks with arthritis and the kids lessons. Training in it makes one work harder to figure out how to cool down. That is probably one of the adjustments, having to deal with staying warm in the cooler water. I tend to use an extended warm up at meets, and then try to get wet behind the blocks to reduce the shock value. Don't know if this helps, but I understand your issue well enough. sounds like what I should do. Thanks! I will try a little longer warm-up. ourswimmer - What you do sounds like a good idea as well. I may try filling a tub and sitting/lying down in 78 degree water. Glad others out there can relate. I keep hoping there is some positive training effect from swimming in hot water.
Children
No Data