Training in hot water and racing in cold water.

I need some advice from those that train in warm water temps (85 degrees and above) and go to meets where the water temp is 78. This is usually quite a shock to my body and can cause my muscles to tighten up. Any advice on how to acclimate to cooler water temps before the meet? There are only 2 indoor pools in a 30 mile radius and both pools are kept at about 87. I have no choice but to train in this and complaining to the management about the high temps seems to make no difference
Parents
  • My only idea is cold showers. I have taken regular cold showers in the weeks leading up to a cold OW race when I did not have any opportunities to swim in cold water. I don't know if it made any difference at all, physiologically, but I at least believed I was preparing.
  • My only idea is cold showers. I have taken regular cold showers in the weeks leading up to a cold OW race when I did not have any opportunities to swim in cold water. I don't know if it made any difference at all, physiologically, but I at least believed I was preparing.
Children
No Data