Swimming Stereotypes

Former Member
Former Member
Equipment Rep Trains with every piece of equipment available at all times. The Luddite Trains with nothing. Only uses a loin cloth and goggles in workout. The Barnacle Leaves right on your feet. Couldn't count to five or ten if his life depnded on it. The Coach Not an actual coach, but someone who is consumed with technique. Swimming is a precise set of moves that can be broken down, categorized, and scientifically analyzed. The Jaded Could care less about technique. Just wants to swim and leave the analysis to the eggheads. The Swimaholic Trains at least 10 swimming workouts a week. Anything less is viewed as not trying. Fast Guy who Never Trains Shows up once a month and breaks national records in practice. Hardest Working Man in the Swim Business Trains like a ferocious animal in workout, but has no speed when it comes to racing. Lane Guy Works out in a lane that is far too fast or slow for him. The Crack Guy Dude, pull your swimsuit up or get a bigger size. The Newbie Shows up to practice in board shorts and a scuba mask. _________________ As for myself, I would fall into the categories of Luddite and Jaded. Also, I wrote this from a male perspective, but the women are included as well. Any other stereotypes?
Parents
  • According to stats from USMS, 61 percent of USMS members from 20-29 now are female. My question to you super girls of swimming--and I am not joking--is what motivates your training and zeal to be the best? I do think that for a lot of guys, there is at least a subtle subtext involved of attracting the chicks. It almost seems that super girls get more satisfaction from crushing guys than attracting them. Is it as simple a matter as this: guys swim for lust; girls swim for revenge? I would honestly love to hear the philosophy of female competitiveness. I would not classify myself as a super girl. That said, I swam on the boys team in high school and have swam with boys my entire life. I try to keep up with and/or beat anyone who is swimming near me - just like the majority of the swimmers in the pool. It helps me to push myself. I've gotten comments like "Don't embarrass me" from guys prior to races, and don't quite get it. Never have. I will always try my hardest and that means I beat some guys all of the time, and some other guys some of the time, and some guys, never. Why do I push myself? I feel better after a hard workout. I like to set goals and then achieve them. I enjoy competing. I have really fun, supportive teammates who are some the best people in the world. It's fun to feel strong and have my body respond when I want to go fast. I lost 20 pounds since starting masters swimming and am in the best shape of my post college life. When I was in High School some boys didn't like that I could beat them and I always figured that was their issue, not mine. I'm happily married and am lucky to share swimming with my hubby. We met when I was swimming in college, and he has always been very supportive of my swimming (and anything else I want to do). I coach age group swimming, mostly 10 and unders but have the senior kids from time to time. I think most of the girls are pretty much like I was at the same age, except that society is more accepting of female athletes. They swim to set goals, feel good physically, because their friends swim, and because it's fun.
  • According to stats from USMS, 61 percent of USMS members from 20-29 now are female. My question to you super girls of swimming--and I am not joking--is what motivates your training and zeal to be the best? I do think that for a lot of guys, there is at least a subtle subtext involved of attracting the chicks. It almost seems that super girls get more satisfaction from crushing guys than attracting them. Is it as simple a matter as this: guys swim for lust; girls swim for revenge? I would honestly love to hear the philosophy of female competitiveness. I would not classify myself as a super girl. That said, I swam on the boys team in high school and have swam with boys my entire life. I try to keep up with and/or beat anyone who is swimming near me - just like the majority of the swimmers in the pool. It helps me to push myself. I've gotten comments like "Don't embarrass me" from guys prior to races, and don't quite get it. Never have. I will always try my hardest and that means I beat some guys all of the time, and some other guys some of the time, and some guys, never. Why do I push myself? I feel better after a hard workout. I like to set goals and then achieve them. I enjoy competing. I have really fun, supportive teammates who are some the best people in the world. It's fun to feel strong and have my body respond when I want to go fast. I lost 20 pounds since starting masters swimming and am in the best shape of my post college life. When I was in High School some boys didn't like that I could beat them and I always figured that was their issue, not mine. I'm happily married and am lucky to share swimming with my hubby. We met when I was swimming in college, and he has always been very supportive of my swimming (and anything else I want to do). I coach age group swimming, mostly 10 and unders but have the senior kids from time to time. I think most of the girls are pretty much like I was at the same age, except that society is more accepting of female athletes. They swim to set goals, feel good physically, because their friends swim, and because it's fun.
Children
No Data