Swimming Stereotypes

Former Member
Former Member
Equipment Rep Trains with every piece of equipment available at all times. The Luddite Trains with nothing. Only uses a loin cloth and goggles in workout. The Barnacle Leaves right on your feet. Couldn't count to five or ten if his life depnded on it. The Coach Not an actual coach, but someone who is consumed with technique. Swimming is a precise set of moves that can be broken down, categorized, and scientifically analyzed. The Jaded Could care less about technique. Just wants to swim and leave the analysis to the eggheads. The Swimaholic Trains at least 10 swimming workouts a week. Anything less is viewed as not trying. Fast Guy who Never Trains Shows up once a month and breaks national records in practice. Hardest Working Man in the Swim Business Trains like a ferocious animal in workout, but has no speed when it comes to racing. Lane Guy Works out in a lane that is far too fast or slow for him. The Crack Guy Dude, pull your swimsuit up or get a bigger size. The Newbie Shows up to practice in board shorts and a scuba mask. _________________ As for myself, I would fall into the categories of Luddite and Jaded. Also, I wrote this from a male perspective, but the women are included as well. Any other stereotypes?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    STOP FOLLOWING ME AROUND! :bolt: :) Which brings me to the next stereotype, The Headbanger Poor little Headbanger is overly optimistic not only about the sport of swimming and their own swimming ability but life in general. Headbanger is ALWAYS up for a race and willing to race not only all ages of humans in all types of gear and equipment (from paddles and fins to full on scuba) but also the occasional marsupial, canine, or barracuda. Regardless of what is in the lane next to headbanger, HB will always try and race it. The only occasion during which HB thinks he/ she may lose, is when said swimmer in the next lane gets out, puts on tennis shoes, and runs laps along side the pool during the set. HB is happy that this running/ swimming race has only happened twice to date. Other challenging pitfalls for HB include swimmers starting the set mid way through; swimmers getting out halfway through; drafters; and the turn around in the middle of the pool people. HB races through all the commotion. Headbanger, not unlike Bart Simpson banging his head continually against the wall, is constantly shunned by the Div I swimmers for poor technique as well as well hated by all Turnips and Rutabagas for his competitive spirit. Poor little Headbanger! Ha! I like this one. I think theres a little HB in all of us.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    STOP FOLLOWING ME AROUND! :bolt: :) Which brings me to the next stereotype, The Headbanger Poor little Headbanger is overly optimistic not only about the sport of swimming and their own swimming ability but life in general. Headbanger is ALWAYS up for a race and willing to race not only all ages of humans in all types of gear and equipment (from paddles and fins to full on scuba) but also the occasional marsupial, canine, or barracuda. Regardless of what is in the lane next to headbanger, HB will always try and race it. The only occasion during which HB thinks he/ she may lose, is when said swimmer in the next lane gets out, puts on tennis shoes, and runs laps along side the pool during the set. HB is happy that this running/ swimming race has only happened twice to date. Other challenging pitfalls for HB include swimmers starting the set mid way through; swimmers getting out halfway through; drafters; and the turn around in the middle of the pool people. HB races through all the commotion. Headbanger, not unlike Bart Simpson banging his head continually against the wall, is constantly shunned by the Div I swimmers for poor technique as well as well hated by all Turnips and Rutabagas for his competitive spirit. Poor little Headbanger! Ha! I like this one. I think theres a little HB in all of us.
Children
No Data