Masters/Swimming in Berlin, Germany?

Hi everyone, I will be going to Berlin Dec 13-20 and would like to swim. Are you aware of any Masters teams or good pools? Thanks! Diana
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Hello, I have to disagree with the above post, as a former USMS swimmer now living and swimming in Berlin, Germany. There are quite a few structured masters teams here in Berlin, and many do focus on competing in meets. Of course there are also many casual clubs (clubs for sports and hobbies in general are more common here, or at least historically were) so it might take some searching to find what you're looking for. Above posters are correct in saying that lap swimming in Germany generally sucks, although it depends on when and where you swim, and for a short visit public pools would probably suffice. For information on all public pools in Berlin, check out http://www.berlinerbaeder.de/ if you can understand German or get by with an online translator. The Swimmersguide link above also looks quite good. I have yet to see a masters team that practices in the mornings, unfortunately, and it's not unusual for practices to be quite late, for example 8-10 pm. My current team offers masters practices 5 evenings a week, three of which are specifically aimed at competition/meet swimmers, and all of which follow a training plan. I'm not sure what the policy on guest/visiting swimmers is, but when I first got here and was looking for a new team, I was able to attend a few practices as a trial period before I joined a particular team. At a recent masters meet in Berlin there were 23 teams/clubs in attendance, and the following 11 had more than 5 swimmers participating: Berliner TSC BSC Robben BSV "Friesen 1895" BSV Medizin Marzahn PSV Delphin 1889 SC Humboldt-Uni Berlin SG Neukölln Berlin SG Schöneberg, Berlin SSV Ostring 93 Vorspiel SSL Berlin Wasserfreunde Spandau 04
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Hello, I have to disagree with the above post, as a former USMS swimmer now living and swimming in Berlin, Germany. There are quite a few structured masters teams here in Berlin, and many do focus on competing in meets. Of course there are also many casual clubs (clubs for sports and hobbies in general are more common here, or at least historically were) so it might take some searching to find what you're looking for. Above posters are correct in saying that lap swimming in Germany generally sucks, although it depends on when and where you swim, and for a short visit public pools would probably suffice. For information on all public pools in Berlin, check out http://www.berlinerbaeder.de/ if you can understand German or get by with an online translator. The Swimmersguide link above also looks quite good. I have yet to see a masters team that practices in the mornings, unfortunately, and it's not unusual for practices to be quite late, for example 8-10 pm. My current team offers masters practices 5 evenings a week, three of which are specifically aimed at competition/meet swimmers, and all of which follow a training plan. I'm not sure what the policy on guest/visiting swimmers is, but when I first got here and was looking for a new team, I was able to attend a few practices as a trial period before I joined a particular team. At a recent masters meet in Berlin there were 23 teams/clubs in attendance, and the following 11 had more than 5 swimmers participating: Berliner TSC BSC Robben BSV "Friesen 1895" BSV Medizin Marzahn PSV Delphin 1889 SC Humboldt-Uni Berlin SG Neukölln Berlin SG Schöneberg, Berlin SSV Ostring 93 Vorspiel SSL Berlin Wasserfreunde Spandau 04
Children
No Data