Who have actually acquired wide shoulders due to swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
It's often said swimming makes your shoulders wider, perhaps breaststroke and butterfly in particular? Are there any real swimmers here who can confirm this with their personal experience? If true, what length of time and intensity of swimming did it take to result in such changes? I suspect this can happen only to competitive swimmers.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I can tell you this: I began my 2nd swim career at 37 after letting myself go a bit for 15 years. After a year and 8 months (building up to pretty hard-core) the muscles that developed most dramatically are in this order: Triceps Shoulders Lats Core/(the V-thing my wife likes) waist shrunk too And chest - though differently than you might think...it shrunk - lost man-boobs and it got firm Legs dropped weight, but nothing too drastic. I do no training other than swimming. So this is 100% swim related, along with good dietary habits. Like someone said, my frame is no bigger, but the shoulder muscles at the tops of my arms are well defined as they taper down to my arm. Kind of roundish muscles. I do feel broader than I did a couple of years ago. At least in the right places. Hope that helps. Blue
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I can tell you this: I began my 2nd swim career at 37 after letting myself go a bit for 15 years. After a year and 8 months (building up to pretty hard-core) the muscles that developed most dramatically are in this order: Triceps Shoulders Lats Core/(the V-thing my wife likes) waist shrunk too And chest - though differently than you might think...it shrunk - lost man-boobs and it got firm Legs dropped weight, but nothing too drastic. I do no training other than swimming. So this is 100% swim related, along with good dietary habits. Like someone said, my frame is no bigger, but the shoulder muscles at the tops of my arms are well defined as they taper down to my arm. Kind of roundish muscles. I do feel broader than I did a couple of years ago. At least in the right places. Hope that helps. Blue
Children
No Data