Who have actually acquired wide shoulders due to swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
It's often said swimming makes your shoulders wider, perhaps breaststroke and butterfly in particular? Are there any real swimmers here who can confirm this with their personal experience? If true, what length of time and intensity of swimming did it take to result in such changes? I suspect this can happen only to competitive swimmers.
Parents
  • I am an ex-marathoner (almost 28 years of distance running) who took up swimming five years ago. I am more oriented towards distance events than sprinting. I consistently swim five to six days per week and do all four strokes with my best strokes being freestyle and fly. My backstroke is getting decent and my *** stroke is horrible. My body has changed since taking up swimming. I have put on upper body mass that I never had as a distance runner. I can't say my shoulders are "bigger" but I have packed on some muscle in the upper body.
  • I am an ex-marathoner (almost 28 years of distance running) who took up swimming five years ago. I am more oriented towards distance events than sprinting. I consistently swim five to six days per week and do all four strokes with my best strokes being freestyle and fly. My backstroke is getting decent and my *** stroke is horrible. My body has changed since taking up swimming. I have put on upper body mass that I never had as a distance runner. I can't say my shoulders are "bigger" but I have packed on some muscle in the upper body.
Children
No Data