Training volume for age groupers?

Former Member
Former Member
Good Morning I have posted before and as some may know I am the parent of a 13 year old age grouper. I have a question for all of you coaches and former swimmers as his mom and I have never swam competitively? How much volume should he be swimming at his age? I limit him to three hard workouts per week at this point and one dive practice. He also takes a lesson from a great private coach once a week that is just technique oriented and is just thirty minutes long. His total yardage is probably around 15K per week. Some of the other kids his age are doing twice the volume and the subtle pressure is there. What do you suggest? Thanks Spudfin PS I would rather he study more than swim more........
  • Lefty is exactly right about success in college and swimming. There are many folks that I can think of that were big stars in top Division I swimming schools that went on to be vets, docs, accountants, etc. As I mentioned before, one of the gals I coached swam for Alabama, a strong Division I swimming school and majored in biology. She obviously did well enough to go on to get her masters and doctorate in exercise physiology. It is all an individual choice. Your son's coach will be a good one to consult with as the time draws near on what program will be well-suited for your child. There are many things to consider.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I appreciate the most recent posts on combining college swimming with academics. I suppose given my experience in a Div 1 athletic department in college I am biased against combining the two but remain open to the possibility. Sounds like the overwhelming advice is to let him swim more if he wants within reason. Based on what you tell me 4 or 5 a week at his age would be OK. I like the post that suggested that if his increase in volume results in a decrease in GPA then we talk again about the choice. Here is another question perhaps for you coaches and former college level swimmers. If he wants to swim in college what level is best for combining school and swimming? What has been your experience? I know a great deal depends on what he wants to do in school and how fast he swims in high school of course. Just wondering about your experiences. Regards Spudfin
  • Former Member
    Wow thanks for all the great responses. I had a sense he may be a little light on the frequency and yardage and that is OK with me. There is time for more as he progresses. One of the posts mentioned intent. He wants to swim in college at some level and given his level of success with minimal training I think he could. I am the stick in the mud however. He will have to present a good argument for continuing in college as I would have him focus on his studies. It is a fine line between my past experiences and his future dreams. I love that the boy has dreams! Thanks again for the great advice. Spudfin
  • Former Member
    If he wants to swim in college what level is best for combining school and swimming? What has been your experience? My experience is that there is no cause and effect here between swimming level (I assume we are talking D1, d2, and d3) and academic success. I can name several intense D1 swimmers who are medical doctors. I know plenty of D3 swimmers who are medical doctors, too. It is possible to be immensely successful as a swimmer and immensely successful as a student at the same time. I'll add that Einstein went on 2 hour walks everyday. So I would agree that any workout over 2 hours might get in the way of great thinking (Source "Einstein" by Isaacson). PS: if you want to save some time from the schedule, unless he is getting the private instruction from his coach (or coach approved lessons) he *might* be better served swimming a 4th workout with the team. I would need to know more about the situation before making that call, though.
  • Former Member
    I appreciate the most recent posts on combining college swimming with academics. I suppose given my experience in a Div 1 athletic department in college I am biased against combining the two but remain open to the possibility. Sounds like the overwhelming advice is to let him swim more if he wants within reason. Based on what you tell me 4 or 5 a week at his age would be OK. I like the post that suggested that if his increase in volume results in a decrease in GPA then we talk again about the choice. Here is another question perhaps for you coaches and former college level swimmers. If he wants to swim in college what level is best for combining school and swimming? What has been your experience? I know a great deal depends on what he wants to do in school and how fast he swims in high school of course. Just wondering about your experiences. Regards Spudfin I am convinced that 4 or 5 times a week will not harm your child physically unless he swims for an abusive team/coach (they do exist). I think there is likely to be a big difference swimming for an elite Div 1 program vs. other Div1 schools or other levels. Ian Crocker did an interview for the Olympics and he seemed to regret at least a bit how much of his college years were dedicated to swimming. My son almost chose Emory - a Div 3 elite academic school. The swimmers are all strong academically yet they are a fast serious team. The university ultimately values academics over athletics so the priority is in the right place. Emory didn't want to even talk to my son about swimming until he was accepted. I think elite Div1 schools regularly find ways around the NCAA training rules and suck more time from their athletes than other programs. If I could make one more suggestion - it is that by the time your child is ready for college it is wonderful to have choices. Swimming could be one of the choices and might be a great experience for him. Maybe not. But if he doesn't advance his training he won't have that choice.