Training volume for age groupers?

Former Member
Former Member
Good Morning I have posted before and as some may know I am the parent of a 13 year old age grouper. I have a question for all of you coaches and former swimmers as his mom and I have never swam competitively? How much volume should he be swimming at his age? I limit him to three hard workouts per week at this point and one dive practice. He also takes a lesson from a great private coach once a week that is just technique oriented and is just thirty minutes long. His total yardage is probably around 15K per week. Some of the other kids his age are doing twice the volume and the subtle pressure is there. What do you suggest? Thanks Spudfin PS I would rather he study more than swim more........
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    If he wants to swim in college what level is best for combining school and swimming? What has been your experience? My experience is that there is no cause and effect here between swimming level (I assume we are talking D1, d2, and d3) and academic success. I can name several intense D1 swimmers who are medical doctors. I know plenty of D3 swimmers who are medical doctors, too. It is possible to be immensely successful as a swimmer and immensely successful as a student at the same time. I'll add that Einstein went on 2 hour walks everyday. So I would agree that any workout over 2 hours might get in the way of great thinking (Source "Einstein" by Isaacson). PS: if you want to save some time from the schedule, unless he is getting the private instruction from his coach (or coach approved lessons) he *might* be better served swimming a 4th workout with the team. I would need to know more about the situation before making that call, though.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    If he wants to swim in college what level is best for combining school and swimming? What has been your experience? My experience is that there is no cause and effect here between swimming level (I assume we are talking D1, d2, and d3) and academic success. I can name several intense D1 swimmers who are medical doctors. I know plenty of D3 swimmers who are medical doctors, too. It is possible to be immensely successful as a swimmer and immensely successful as a student at the same time. I'll add that Einstein went on 2 hour walks everyday. So I would agree that any workout over 2 hours might get in the way of great thinking (Source "Einstein" by Isaacson). PS: if you want to save some time from the schedule, unless he is getting the private instruction from his coach (or coach approved lessons) he *might* be better served swimming a 4th workout with the team. I would need to know more about the situation before making that call, though.
Children
No Data