Training volume for age groupers?

Former Member
Former Member
Good Morning I have posted before and as some may know I am the parent of a 13 year old age grouper. I have a question for all of you coaches and former swimmers as his mom and I have never swam competitively? How much volume should he be swimming at his age? I limit him to three hard workouts per week at this point and one dive practice. He also takes a lesson from a great private coach once a week that is just technique oriented and is just thirty minutes long. His total yardage is probably around 15K per week. Some of the other kids his age are doing twice the volume and the subtle pressure is there. What do you suggest? Thanks Spudfin PS I would rather he study more than swim more........
Parents
  • I appreciate the most recent posts on combining college swimming with academics. I suppose given my experience in a Div 1 athletic department in college I am biased against combining the two but remain open to the possibility. Sounds like the overwhelming advice is to let him swim more if he wants within reason. Based on what you tell me 4 or 5 a week at his age would be OK. I like the post that suggested that if his increase in volume results in a decrease in GPA then we talk again about the choice. Here is another question perhaps for you coaches and former college level swimmers. If he wants to swim in college what level is best for combining school and swimming? What has been your experience? I know a great deal depends on what he wants to do in school and how fast he swims in high school of course. Just wondering about your experiences. Regards Spudfin If he's a good student, I really doubt his grades will suffer from swimming more than 3x a week. That's pretty minimal unless he's also doing other sports or activities. Both my teenagers are doing fine training every day. Sports keep them efficient and organized. If only sports would eliminate the "teenage" factor ... I swam for a year at a small D I school, although we weren't very good. (Burned out and RC tear) It was very academically rigorous, and it was difficult at times to balance the two. However, it can certainly be be done if the desire is there. Half my swim team was pre-med. From what I've observed, endurance athletes (swimming, cross country, crew) tend to have high GPAs. You have a ways to go before worrying about that now. I'm hoping my kids continue their sports in college. But I don't want them selecting their school for that reason particularly. I have an academic bias as well.
  • I appreciate the most recent posts on combining college swimming with academics. I suppose given my experience in a Div 1 athletic department in college I am biased against combining the two but remain open to the possibility. Sounds like the overwhelming advice is to let him swim more if he wants within reason. Based on what you tell me 4 or 5 a week at his age would be OK. I like the post that suggested that if his increase in volume results in a decrease in GPA then we talk again about the choice. Here is another question perhaps for you coaches and former college level swimmers. If he wants to swim in college what level is best for combining school and swimming? What has been your experience? I know a great deal depends on what he wants to do in school and how fast he swims in high school of course. Just wondering about your experiences. Regards Spudfin If he's a good student, I really doubt his grades will suffer from swimming more than 3x a week. That's pretty minimal unless he's also doing other sports or activities. Both my teenagers are doing fine training every day. Sports keep them efficient and organized. If only sports would eliminate the "teenage" factor ... I swam for a year at a small D I school, although we weren't very good. (Burned out and RC tear) It was very academically rigorous, and it was difficult at times to balance the two. However, it can certainly be be done if the desire is there. Half my swim team was pre-med. From what I've observed, endurance athletes (swimming, cross country, crew) tend to have high GPAs. You have a ways to go before worrying about that now. I'm hoping my kids continue their sports in college. But I don't want them selecting their school for that reason particularly. I have an academic bias as well.
Children
No Data