Training volume for age groupers?

Former Member
Former Member
Good Morning I have posted before and as some may know I am the parent of a 13 year old age grouper. I have a question for all of you coaches and former swimmers as his mom and I have never swam competitively? How much volume should he be swimming at his age? I limit him to three hard workouts per week at this point and one dive practice. He also takes a lesson from a great private coach once a week that is just technique oriented and is just thirty minutes long. His total yardage is probably around 15K per week. Some of the other kids his age are doing twice the volume and the subtle pressure is there. What do you suggest? Thanks Spudfin PS I would rather he study more than swim more........
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Spudfin - it sounds like you plan to continue restricting him to 3 workouts a week. If he wants to swim in college - he is at a point where an investment in more (quality) training will pay off. I am definitly not a fan of the pounding yards school that is still popular in many age group teams. But repetition, science-based aerobic work, and technique all will improve your child. 3 times a week will become a constraint. My oldest son is a freshman in college and is swimming. We told him it was his choice to swim or not. He had a great senior year in high school and decided he wanted to swim. He is a walk-on, as perhaps most Div 1 male swimmers are. But he is part of the team, and he has a strong structure to his day, which I think helps him his freshman year away from home. If he chooses to quit at some point - that's his choice and I won't try to change his mind. He knows he is in college to get a worthwhile degree.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Spudfin - it sounds like you plan to continue restricting him to 3 workouts a week. If he wants to swim in college - he is at a point where an investment in more (quality) training will pay off. I am definitly not a fan of the pounding yards school that is still popular in many age group teams. But repetition, science-based aerobic work, and technique all will improve your child. 3 times a week will become a constraint. My oldest son is a freshman in college and is swimming. We told him it was his choice to swim or not. He had a great senior year in high school and decided he wanted to swim. He is a walk-on, as perhaps most Div 1 male swimmers are. But he is part of the team, and he has a strong structure to his day, which I think helps him his freshman year away from home. If he chooses to quit at some point - that's his choice and I won't try to change his mind. He knows he is in college to get a worthwhile degree.
Children
No Data