Training volume for age groupers?

Former Member
Former Member
Good Morning I have posted before and as some may know I am the parent of a 13 year old age grouper. I have a question for all of you coaches and former swimmers as his mom and I have never swam competitively? How much volume should he be swimming at his age? I limit him to three hard workouts per week at this point and one dive practice. He also takes a lesson from a great private coach once a week that is just technique oriented and is just thirty minutes long. His total yardage is probably around 15K per week. Some of the other kids his age are doing twice the volume and the subtle pressure is there. What do you suggest? Thanks Spudfin PS I would rather he study more than swim more........
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Good Morning I have posted before and as some may know I am the parent of a 13 year old age grouper. I have a question for all of you coaches and former swimmers as his mom and I have never swam competitively? How much volume should he be swimming at his age? I limit him to three hard workouts per week at this point and one dive practice. He also takes a lesson from a great private coach once a week that is just technique oriented and is just thirty minutes long. His total yardage is probably around 15K per week. Some of the other kids his age are doing twice the volume and the subtle pressure is there. What do you suggest? Thanks Spudfin PS I would rather he study more than swim more........ My 13 year old child follows the same routine. 3 days a week seems to work fine for her. She's doing very well on a combination of natural ability, and an easy does it attitude, which keeps up her enthusiasm. (Being able to keep up with school work also reduces her stress level, and helps her stay balanced.) And yes there are other more hard core kids who show up four and five days a week. But these are the same ones who take off during the spring and summer sessions because they got burnt out. Maybe when your son is a bit older he'll tell you if he's ready to make a stronger commitment. Pushing a kid too hard often results in a melt down, and they won't want to go at all.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Good Morning I have posted before and as some may know I am the parent of a 13 year old age grouper. I have a question for all of you coaches and former swimmers as his mom and I have never swam competitively? How much volume should he be swimming at his age? I limit him to three hard workouts per week at this point and one dive practice. He also takes a lesson from a great private coach once a week that is just technique oriented and is just thirty minutes long. His total yardage is probably around 15K per week. Some of the other kids his age are doing twice the volume and the subtle pressure is there. What do you suggest? Thanks Spudfin PS I would rather he study more than swim more........ My 13 year old child follows the same routine. 3 days a week seems to work fine for her. She's doing very well on a combination of natural ability, and an easy does it attitude, which keeps up her enthusiasm. (Being able to keep up with school work also reduces her stress level, and helps her stay balanced.) And yes there are other more hard core kids who show up four and five days a week. But these are the same ones who take off during the spring and summer sessions because they got burnt out. Maybe when your son is a bit older he'll tell you if he's ready to make a stronger commitment. Pushing a kid too hard often results in a melt down, and they won't want to go at all.
Children
No Data