Training volume for age groupers?

Former Member
Former Member
Good Morning I have posted before and as some may know I am the parent of a 13 year old age grouper. I have a question for all of you coaches and former swimmers as his mom and I have never swam competitively? How much volume should he be swimming at his age? I limit him to three hard workouts per week at this point and one dive practice. He also takes a lesson from a great private coach once a week that is just technique oriented and is just thirty minutes long. His total yardage is probably around 15K per week. Some of the other kids his age are doing twice the volume and the subtle pressure is there. What do you suggest? Thanks Spudfin PS I would rather he study more than swim more........
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    When I was 12 we would do 3 workouts a day during the summer. We would rack up 10,000 or more yards each day. All we did was swim, eat and sleep. Yes, this was excessive. I remember however, really enjoying it. There is no doubt that this summer of hard work was part of my basis for college swimming and polo. When school started we switched to double workouts, about 7,000 yds a day. This was in the era of mega yards. There is a different and wiser thought out there today. My point is, tons of yardage might not be bad, it wasn't for me (yes, however, I burned out big time at age 19, but I came back) but I don't think it is necessary. There are other more important things in life.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    When I was 12 we would do 3 workouts a day during the summer. We would rack up 10,000 or more yards each day. All we did was swim, eat and sleep. Yes, this was excessive. I remember however, really enjoying it. There is no doubt that this summer of hard work was part of my basis for college swimming and polo. When school started we switched to double workouts, about 7,000 yds a day. This was in the era of mega yards. There is a different and wiser thought out there today. My point is, tons of yardage might not be bad, it wasn't for me (yes, however, I burned out big time at age 19, but I came back) but I don't think it is necessary. There are other more important things in life.
Children
No Data