Sucking in Water When Breathing

Former Member
Former Member
I took lessons when I was a kid and never mastered the breathing technique for freestyle swimming so I gave up on swimming. Now it is 30 yrs later and I am determined to learn how to swim and have been taking a group class at the local natatorium. I have been making a lot of progress and learning things that I don't remember from my childhood lessons (keep your chin to your chest, making the S-pattern during the pull stroke, etc). I have also been focused on rolling of the body more - and especially rolling to breathe so that my head is on my left arm/shoulder (breathing to the right). However, I'm still struggling with the breathing in that I am sucking in water and end up choking. I've had multiple people watch me and they say that my form looks good and even the part when I roll to breathe - but they are unsure at what point I am getting water in my mouth. It's been hard for me to figure it out - here's some of my thoughts - it's a bit hard to self-diagnose and so far the people watching are not catching it - Is the timing of the opening and closing of my mouth just a bit off that I am sucking water when I turn to breathe and return to face down? I'm not the best at exhaling underwater so I wonder if I'm trying to exhale and inhale during the short time that I am turned? Do I need to turn my head more (look at ceiling)? Am I slowly sucking in water when my face is down since I'm not exhaling correctly? Any thoughts on how I can figure this out or other things to look for? Thanks Mike
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I believe it's called "reach to breathe". You should be stretching out on your side anyway, but when you go to breathe, you almost want to be resting on your armpit. MJ is definitely spot on with all of these comments! I have a lot of youngsters that start out with getting water in their mouth (sucking in water...lots of it), and the way we rectify is almost verbatum of mjgold! Excellent responses! Also, Michael, congrats on going pro!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I believe it's called "reach to breathe". You should be stretching out on your side anyway, but when you go to breathe, you almost want to be resting on your armpit. MJ is definitely spot on with all of these comments! I have a lot of youngsters that start out with getting water in their mouth (sucking in water...lots of it), and the way we rectify is almost verbatum of mjgold! Excellent responses! Also, Michael, congrats on going pro!!
Children
No Data