How often do they change pool water completely?

Former Member
Former Member
Anyone knows how public swimming pools are maintained? Do they completely change the pool water at the end of day, or weekly? Anything they do to the pool overnight (just circulate like daytime, or do nothing, or change entire pool water)? Is the water cleaner in early morning than evening because of this? Thanks.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Mermaid, Hoffman, Blackbeard, and Osterber nailed it. The only things I would add are: 1. Where I live, there are a number of fitness facility pools that the department of health requires to have the water at 82 degrees. 2. Early morning (4-5am) swimmers seem to experience the clearest water of the day, since it is easier for pool techs to work when the pool is least used. Getting a proper ph balance is said to be a pain and even far more difficult when there are people in the water. Therefore a lot of techs work at night. However, also note that the ph levels can be too high in the early a.m. and left at those levels with the mindset that swimmers and noodlers will have those levels down to proper levels by e.g. 9am which will be perfect for potential inspection times. 3. Even if every aforementioned preventative measure is taken, you are still at risk for Crypto. While I was living in Vegas last year, the Salt Lake County in Utah had a county-wide outbreak. At large pools with a lot of kids, they now have everyone exit the pool for ten minutes every hour so that they can test for Crypto and so that parents can change swim-diapers and take their children to the bathroom. I do not swim in any of those pools, though at least one of them was a USMS training pool :) (Side note: You never fully realize how much chemicals are in pool water until you swim in open water. It amazes me every time. I also prefer the pool water that is run through a salt filtration system vs a sand filtration system. The chemicals seems less harsh.)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Mermaid, Hoffman, Blackbeard, and Osterber nailed it. The only things I would add are: 1. Where I live, there are a number of fitness facility pools that the department of health requires to have the water at 82 degrees. 2. Early morning (4-5am) swimmers seem to experience the clearest water of the day, since it is easier for pool techs to work when the pool is least used. Getting a proper ph balance is said to be a pain and even far more difficult when there are people in the water. Therefore a lot of techs work at night. However, also note that the ph levels can be too high in the early a.m. and left at those levels with the mindset that swimmers and noodlers will have those levels down to proper levels by e.g. 9am which will be perfect for potential inspection times. 3. Even if every aforementioned preventative measure is taken, you are still at risk for Crypto. While I was living in Vegas last year, the Salt Lake County in Utah had a county-wide outbreak. At large pools with a lot of kids, they now have everyone exit the pool for ten minutes every hour so that they can test for Crypto and so that parents can change swim-diapers and take their children to the bathroom. I do not swim in any of those pools, though at least one of them was a USMS training pool :) (Side note: You never fully realize how much chemicals are in pool water until you swim in open water. It amazes me every time. I also prefer the pool water that is run through a salt filtration system vs a sand filtration system. The chemicals seems less harsh.)
Children
No Data