How often do they change pool water completely?

Former Member
Former Member
Anyone knows how public swimming pools are maintained? Do they completely change the pool water at the end of day, or weekly? Anything they do to the pool overnight (just circulate like daytime, or do nothing, or change entire pool water)? Is the water cleaner in early morning than evening because of this? Thanks.
Parents
  • Just re-confirming what everyone has already said. At the pool I spend most of my time at (Blodgett Pool at Harvard), I think our filters circulate the entire pool every 5 hours +/- based on circulation flow rate. In a large pool such as ours, water is being added very regularly. Not sure how long it takes us to add a full 750,000 gallons of new water, though. For us, one of the biggest problems with cloudy water is simply air bubbles. Sometimes if there is a leak in the circulation system, air can leak into the pipes, and cause really small air bubbles in the water, which makes it cloudy. Also everything else... dirt, grime, hair product, lotion, etc., that comes off of everyone. (There is a good reason they ask you to shower first!) -Rick
  • Just re-confirming what everyone has already said. At the pool I spend most of my time at (Blodgett Pool at Harvard), I think our filters circulate the entire pool every 5 hours +/- based on circulation flow rate. In a large pool such as ours, water is being added very regularly. Not sure how long it takes us to add a full 750,000 gallons of new water, though. For us, one of the biggest problems with cloudy water is simply air bubbles. Sometimes if there is a leak in the circulation system, air can leak into the pipes, and cause really small air bubbles in the water, which makes it cloudy. Also everything else... dirt, grime, hair product, lotion, etc., that comes off of everyone. (There is a good reason they ask you to shower first!) -Rick
Children
No Data