Posterior tibial tendonitis-anybody have it?

I have been battling posterior tibial tendonitis in both feet for over a year. At least that's what I've been told it is. Basically it's pain on the inside of my foot below the ankle bone. I've been to two podiatrist, one orthopedist and three physical therapists. I've tried strengthening PT, resting PT and none of it's done any good. Usually swimming is a recommended exercise for people with feet problems like plantar fasciitis. Well, would you believe that swimming aggravates my feet. It appears the flexion of kicking and the pointed toe position of flutter kicking are what causes the aggravation. Basically I'm only good for about a half an hour before things start getting ugly. I can only pull so much without aggravating the tendonitis in my elbow. *** stroke is actually the least aggravating stroke. My feet are a set up for problems in that I pronate severely. Yes, I have custom orthotics-they haven't helped, in fact the problem in the one foot didn't start until after I'd gotten the new orthotics. Anybody ever have this? Anybody ever get rid of it? I'm really sick of this. I can't swim for a couple of weeks because of stitches (mole removal) but I'd like to get back in the swim of things after that. Thanks for any advice or sympathy. Jan
Parents
  • Hi, Joel, I just found your post. Mine was so long ago I didn't think anyone would resurrect it. I'm sorry you've joined me in the ranks of people afflicted with this damn disorder. Yep, I've still got it. I think I've been to at least five doctors and about the same number of PT's. The PT's all start out so optimistic believing they'll somehow "cure" me. Yeah, right. If they could I wouldn't still be suffering. The MRI's don't indicate a tear-just inflammation. I while ago I saw Highly Respected Orthopedic Foot Surgeon who told me they don't usually do surgery unless the person is walking on the inside of their feet. The guy had the bedside manner of a toad which further impressed me. I mean, jeez, if you get to the point of walking on the inside of your foot the rest of your body has probably pretty well collapsed from foot enforced inactivity. Last year I tried a custom Richie brace which was also a bust. They never could get the thing adjusted so I could tolerate it for more than a couple of hours. After about five tries at adjustments I gave up. So where am I now? Well, I'm still swimming. Sometimes I think it bothers my feet, sometimes I think it doesn't. I usually only swim three times a week because I'm so prone to overuse injuries-read tendonitis. I've been told I have the lousy combination of loose ligaments and tendons, hence the "flexible flat foot", and tight muscles. One might think flexible is a good thing but with feet that's not necessarily so. At this point my orthopedist is willing to refer me to the foot surgeon in his practice but I don't take surgery lightly. I almost died from hysterectomy complications. At the same time I'm really tired of planning much of my life around my feet. They especially hate standing on concrete which makes thing like grocery shopping such a joy. Some nights by the time I've hit a couple of grocery stores, done some house cleaning and cooked dinner my feet are completely cooked. They claim surgery could leave me no better or even worse off. I think part of the problem is the clinical picture; MRI's and exams don't adequately reflect the life changing suffering this affliction causes me. I pick my volunteer activities very carefully and refuse to do any that require me to stand on my feet for hours-makes me real popular with the other band parents (son still in high school). I tend to feel guilty when I have to wimp out on something because my feet hurt or I know it's going to make them hurt for days or weeks (I should really say hurt worse-they ALWAYS hurt). I'm now going to see a neurologist next month because I think it's possible I could have developed tarsal tunnel syndrome from the swollen tendons pressing on nerves. I sometimes get burning and stinging on the bottoms of my feet. I completely agree that there needs to be more effective methods of treating soft tissue injuries. I broke my ankle once. Recovery from that was a piece of cake compared to this issue. My husband and I are currently doing a therapeutic fitness class at a local gym. It's led by a physical therapist and she of course thinks my feet problems will get better once I improve my hip flexibility, strength and body alignment. Yeah, right. Where have I heard that one before? The class seems good for keeping shoulder twinges away and making my hips feel nice and flexible but I'm not expecting any miracles in the feet department. Again my sympathies and if you find the miracle cure be sure to let me know. Jan
  • Hi, Joel, I just found your post. Mine was so long ago I didn't think anyone would resurrect it. I'm sorry you've joined me in the ranks of people afflicted with this damn disorder. Yep, I've still got it. I think I've been to at least five doctors and about the same number of PT's. The PT's all start out so optimistic believing they'll somehow "cure" me. Yeah, right. If they could I wouldn't still be suffering. The MRI's don't indicate a tear-just inflammation. I while ago I saw Highly Respected Orthopedic Foot Surgeon who told me they don't usually do surgery unless the person is walking on the inside of their feet. The guy had the bedside manner of a toad which further impressed me. I mean, jeez, if you get to the point of walking on the inside of your foot the rest of your body has probably pretty well collapsed from foot enforced inactivity. Last year I tried a custom Richie brace which was also a bust. They never could get the thing adjusted so I could tolerate it for more than a couple of hours. After about five tries at adjustments I gave up. So where am I now? Well, I'm still swimming. Sometimes I think it bothers my feet, sometimes I think it doesn't. I usually only swim three times a week because I'm so prone to overuse injuries-read tendonitis. I've been told I have the lousy combination of loose ligaments and tendons, hence the "flexible flat foot", and tight muscles. One might think flexible is a good thing but with feet that's not necessarily so. At this point my orthopedist is willing to refer me to the foot surgeon in his practice but I don't take surgery lightly. I almost died from hysterectomy complications. At the same time I'm really tired of planning much of my life around my feet. They especially hate standing on concrete which makes thing like grocery shopping such a joy. Some nights by the time I've hit a couple of grocery stores, done some house cleaning and cooked dinner my feet are completely cooked. They claim surgery could leave me no better or even worse off. I think part of the problem is the clinical picture; MRI's and exams don't adequately reflect the life changing suffering this affliction causes me. I pick my volunteer activities very carefully and refuse to do any that require me to stand on my feet for hours-makes me real popular with the other band parents (son still in high school). I tend to feel guilty when I have to wimp out on something because my feet hurt or I know it's going to make them hurt for days or weeks (I should really say hurt worse-they ALWAYS hurt). I'm now going to see a neurologist next month because I think it's possible I could have developed tarsal tunnel syndrome from the swollen tendons pressing on nerves. I sometimes get burning and stinging on the bottoms of my feet. I completely agree that there needs to be more effective methods of treating soft tissue injuries. I broke my ankle once. Recovery from that was a piece of cake compared to this issue. My husband and I are currently doing a therapeutic fitness class at a local gym. It's led by a physical therapist and she of course thinks my feet problems will get better once I improve my hip flexibility, strength and body alignment. Yeah, right. Where have I heard that one before? The class seems good for keeping shoulder twinges away and making my hips feel nice and flexible but I'm not expecting any miracles in the feet department. Again my sympathies and if you find the miracle cure be sure to let me know. Jan
Children
No Data