Training for the 100 fly?

I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I like this one.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    A set (that should be adjusted to your level) that my swim coach recommended for training in preparation for the 100yd Fly: 3 x . If 50's become too easy, then: 3 x , and then 3 x . For the 50's, I go around :45, :40, :55 respectively...Haven't managed to hold a set of 75's at any decent interval yet, and I have yet to attempt the 100s.
  • I say train mostly freestyle and do some butterfly sprints, 12.5's, 25's & 50's Improve your SDK Race 50's & 100's Learn how to correctly race & split the 100 butterfly
  • A set designed to train for fly that is 2/3 freestyle? Interesting. :) I'd say just do the entire set fly, but give yourself enough rest between swims that you can maintain good stroke technique.
  • Slower speed to do longer sets & one arm drill to fill in the point that you can't get your arms out of the water.
  • LCM? Yes, swim more fly in practice. Even LCM, the 100 is a short race (except for the last 15 meters :) ) so swim it fast in practice. Preferably LCM. I like this workout, stolen from Bob Bowman: 30x50 on 1:30 as (50 kick, 50 drill, 50 fly) The idea is to swim the 50 fly like the second half of your 100. Technically, Bowman says "as fast as possible" but I'm not Phelps so I back off just a little bit on the first two. Otherwise I won't finish the last eight :|
  • So...after reading 6 pages of posts, the gist is swim more fly in practice and strengthen the back mucscles in the weight room. Am I missing something? I am signed up for the 100 LCM at nationals, and I am dreading the piano drop. :afraid: I think my last legitimate attempt at this was when I was 14.
  • LCM? Yes, swim more fly in practice. Even LCM, the 100 is a short race (except for the last 15 meters :) ) so swim it fast in practice. Preferably LCM. I like this workout, stolen from Bob Bowman: 30x50 on 1:30 as (50 kick, 50 drill, 50 fly) The idea is to swim the 50 fly like the second half of your 100. Technically, Bowman says "as fast as possible" but I'm not Phelps so I back off just a little bit on the first two. Otherwise I won't finish the last eight :| What is "50 drill"?
  • The key is to not simply to "swim more fly" in practice; rather, it is to swim more intelligently in practice. Because the butterfly is such a challenging stroke, the more you swim fullstroke, the more quickly your technique tends to fall apart. Working on your timing in this stroke is one of the most important ways to improve efficiency and to avoid fighting against the water's resistance. The Bob Bowman set mentioned above is a great way to break down the stroke so that you are building up your endurance and fine-tuning your technique at the same time. Bob and Michael produced a training series after the Sydney Olympics which includes quite a few good drills and insights into the butterfly. Here is the series: swimswam.com/.../
  • Are you serious, or purposely being obtuse? Whatever drill you like, I suppose. Bowman lists ten or eleven drills and says "the kicks and drills should be done with perfect precision and at an effort that keeps the system engaged and the heart rate steady between swims."