Training for the 100 fly?

I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper?
Parents
  • If you're only training for the 100 fly, particularly if only the short course 100 fly, doing repeats of 50's should be enough. Now if you're training for the 200, or maybe the LCM 100, then 75's are an excellent distance to do in practice, provided that you can maintain your stroke technique. I think training for the 200 fly (especially LCM) needs longer distances than 75s, but the thread is about the 100, so... I would observe that the 100 fly LCM is quite a bit longer than SCY, more than the nominal 10% difference in distance suggests. Consider that I take about 30 strokes in the event SCY while it is about 38 in LCM, which is more than 25% longer...and with 2 fewer turns to "rest" on. So I think if you want to train for the 100 fly LCM, repeat 75s are not at all out of line. (Of course, I don't think that they are out of line for SCY either, but it appears I'm in the minority!) And you should do some race-pace efforts of 100 fly off the blocks every now and then so your body can get used to the feeling. In training for LCM, you might want to try doing 125s off the blocks if you are stuck in a SCY pool in the summer.
  • If you're only training for the 100 fly, particularly if only the short course 100 fly, doing repeats of 50's should be enough. Now if you're training for the 200, or maybe the LCM 100, then 75's are an excellent distance to do in practice, provided that you can maintain your stroke technique. I think training for the 200 fly (especially LCM) needs longer distances than 75s, but the thread is about the 100, so... I would observe that the 100 fly LCM is quite a bit longer than SCY, more than the nominal 10% difference in distance suggests. Consider that I take about 30 strokes in the event SCY while it is about 38 in LCM, which is more than 25% longer...and with 2 fewer turns to "rest" on. So I think if you want to train for the 100 fly LCM, repeat 75s are not at all out of line. (Of course, I don't think that they are out of line for SCY either, but it appears I'm in the minority!) And you should do some race-pace efforts of 100 fly off the blocks every now and then so your body can get used to the feeling. In training for LCM, you might want to try doing 125s off the blocks if you are stuck in a SCY pool in the summer.
Children
No Data