Training for the 100 fly?

I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper?
Parents
  • Ok... my recommendation for your next step is to train for the specific issue... but still only train 25s and 50s. If you have trouble on the end of the race, train to get stronger at that point you are weakest. If you are doing 100s... or 200s (or even 500s), swim free on the front, then go the last 25 or 50 fly. Heart rate is up, and you are fatigued just enough, but not from blowing out your shoulders from training the front part fly (after short rest, too) just to get to the point where you are hitting the piano, but can't train there because you are hitting the piano.... a catch-22. Focus on perfect technique and keep the hips high. .... and keep up the speed training.
  • Ok... my recommendation for your next step is to train for the specific issue... but still only train 25s and 50s. If you have trouble on the end of the race, train to get stronger at that point you are weakest. If you are doing 100s... or 200s (or even 500s), swim free on the front, then go the last 25 or 50 fly. Heart rate is up, and you are fatigued just enough, but not from blowing out your shoulders from training the front part fly (after short rest, too) just to get to the point where you are hitting the piano, but can't train there because you are hitting the piano.... a catch-22. Focus on perfect technique and keep the hips high. .... and keep up the speed training.
Children
No Data