Training for the 100 fly?

I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper?
Parents
  • 25 and 50's fast will help the most.... not lots of fly. I like to mix in some extreme speed using fins about once a week. Try not to breath every stroke during speed in practice and never breath off the walls.... ever. Race fly from a dive and when in meets whenever possible. Well, I've done lots of this, Al, but I think I need something more. It's not enough to stave off the piano! Rob, You're right! That's why I've tried to swim it a lot last year. Can't do it every meet because it's often a back to back event with backstroke. Paul, I wonder if you (and Ande and JF) can get away with not doing much fly because you've been swimming masters for so long? I think my super long layoff killed my aerobic base somewhat. My fly "feel" bounced back more slowly than my long axis strokes. Greg, thanks for the advice! I will try the 10 x 75 fly. I do think in a couple of my 100 flys where I've crashed it's been due to taking too many SDKs. So I either need better hypoxic training or fewer SDKs. The long course 100 fly WAS a different experience and I breathed every other stroke. Not doing that again without better conditioning!
  • 25 and 50's fast will help the most.... not lots of fly. I like to mix in some extreme speed using fins about once a week. Try not to breath every stroke during speed in practice and never breath off the walls.... ever. Race fly from a dive and when in meets whenever possible. Well, I've done lots of this, Al, but I think I need something more. It's not enough to stave off the piano! Rob, You're right! That's why I've tried to swim it a lot last year. Can't do it every meet because it's often a back to back event with backstroke. Paul, I wonder if you (and Ande and JF) can get away with not doing much fly because you've been swimming masters for so long? I think my super long layoff killed my aerobic base somewhat. My fly "feel" bounced back more slowly than my long axis strokes. Greg, thanks for the advice! I will try the 10 x 75 fly. I do think in a couple of my 100 flys where I've crashed it's been due to taking too many SDKs. So I either need better hypoxic training or fewer SDKs. The long course 100 fly WAS a different experience and I breathed every other stroke. Not doing that again without better conditioning!
Children
No Data