Training for the 100 fly?

I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Definitely the recovery. I'm going to weigh in with the view you should do rear delt exercises. THey are small muscles and have a lot of work to do in the fly motion and thinking about it they do take the bulk of the piano's weight in fly.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Definitely the recovery. I'm going to weigh in with the view you should do rear delt exercises. THey are small muscles and have a lot of work to do in the fly motion and thinking about it they do take the bulk of the piano's weight in fly.
Children
No Data