Training for the 100 fly?

I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper?
Parents
  • While at a meet sitting next to your coach and an attractive person of the opposite gender, let the coach praise your recent practices and convince you to deck enter the 400 IM. Let the resulting adrenaline and hormones replace rational thought and agree to deck enter. Get on the blocks, have the aforementioned attractive person wave & smile, and go out in a fly split that is not only your PB but also qualifies you for the state meet. Ignore the gorilla that is about tap dance on top of that piano that your realize is going to drop during the free. In college, I was either # 4 or # 5 in *** stroke (depending on how my roommate swam). The coach offered to move me to fly where we did not have as much depth. Having been DQed for years as an age grouper I was less than enthusiastic. Later in my first round of masters, I got my 100 fly below my 100 free. Lots of kicking drills, lots of lat pulls, especially at the end of the pull. Shock Cords until fatigue and beyond. Working on SDK w fins now, but mot ready to haul beer mountain through a 100 fly now.
  • While at a meet sitting next to your coach and an attractive person of the opposite gender, let the coach praise your recent practices and convince you to deck enter the 400 IM. Let the resulting adrenaline and hormones replace rational thought and agree to deck enter. Get on the blocks, have the aforementioned attractive person wave & smile, and go out in a fly split that is not only your PB but also qualifies you for the state meet. Ignore the gorilla that is about tap dance on top of that piano that your realize is going to drop during the free. In college, I was either # 4 or # 5 in *** stroke (depending on how my roommate swam). The coach offered to move me to fly where we did not have as much depth. Having been DQed for years as an age grouper I was less than enthusiastic. Later in my first round of masters, I got my 100 fly below my 100 free. Lots of kicking drills, lots of lat pulls, especially at the end of the pull. Shock Cords until fatigue and beyond. Working on SDK w fins now, but mot ready to haul beer mountain through a 100 fly now.
Children
No Data