Training for the 100 fly?

I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper?
Parents
  • As a former flyer, I feel your pain, literally. In Age Group and HS, I would be a champ at the 90M mark...then come back to Earth (HARD!) over the last ten painful meters. Shoulder injury in college forced me to change to breaststroke (ah, silver linings...) but I still enjoyed fly. My warped view is do 400 IM sets where you have to swim fly, then go on to other strokes. You learn to pace yourself during the first 100M because you race (life?) depends on it. Cruise the 100 fly leg, then go into back, etc., etc. and you get a better idea of how to pace yourself. I am toying with the idea of adding the 100 Fly back into my bag of tricks so I will talk to my coaches about this as well and see what they have to say.
  • As a former flyer, I feel your pain, literally. In Age Group and HS, I would be a champ at the 90M mark...then come back to Earth (HARD!) over the last ten painful meters. Shoulder injury in college forced me to change to breaststroke (ah, silver linings...) but I still enjoyed fly. My warped view is do 400 IM sets where you have to swim fly, then go on to other strokes. You learn to pace yourself during the first 100M because you race (life?) depends on it. Cruise the 100 fly leg, then go into back, etc., etc. and you get a better idea of how to pace yourself. I am toying with the idea of adding the 100 Fly back into my bag of tricks so I will talk to my coaches about this as well and see what they have to say.
Children
No Data