Training for the 100 fly?

I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper?
Parents
  • I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper? My 2 cents - "specificity in practice results in improved performance" -so I would practice swimming 100 flys exactly as you plan to do so in a meet - down to the number of SDKs, turns and percieved pace. You should build a base of butterfly swimming, drill and kicks before such race pace sets - hopefully, that will reduce the probability of shoulder injuries. Muscular tetanus ( dying so badly you can barely recovery your arms ) may result from 1) trying too hard at the start ( don't take it out so fast, be smooth and relaxed - which is something to practice during the race pace sets) and/or 2) lack of conditioning (your 1 week versus 2 week taper observation). Aging reduces VO2 max - but it should not play a significant difference in an short duration event. One of my favorite train up sets is as follows: 25 free (hypoxic) + 75 fly easy 50 free (hypoxic) + 50 fly easy 75 free (hypoxic) + 25 fly blast with enough recovery time to bring your heart rate down. Good luck with the 100 Fly
  • I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper? My 2 cents - "specificity in practice results in improved performance" -so I would practice swimming 100 flys exactly as you plan to do so in a meet - down to the number of SDKs, turns and percieved pace. You should build a base of butterfly swimming, drill and kicks before such race pace sets - hopefully, that will reduce the probability of shoulder injuries. Muscular tetanus ( dying so badly you can barely recovery your arms ) may result from 1) trying too hard at the start ( don't take it out so fast, be smooth and relaxed - which is something to practice during the race pace sets) and/or 2) lack of conditioning (your 1 week versus 2 week taper observation). Aging reduces VO2 max - but it should not play a significant difference in an short duration event. One of my favorite train up sets is as follows: 25 free (hypoxic) + 75 fly easy 50 free (hypoxic) + 50 fly easy 75 free (hypoxic) + 25 fly blast with enough recovery time to bring your heart rate down. Good luck with the 100 Fly
Children
No Data