When to stop lifting weights for taper?

Former Member
Former Member
I searched for this subject in prior threads, but couldn't find specific answers. With Nationals just a few weeks away, I'm hoping responses posted here will be helpful for others as well. My question is, when do you stop lifting as part of your taper? Way back in college, I used to stop weights a full three weeks before big meets (competed in sprint free/fly). I'm still only competing in spring free and fly. I don't know if I should - keep lifting longer because yardage is way down compared to college stop lifting sooner because my 40-year-old body takes longer to recover or somewhere in the middleI certainly would appreciate it if folks would respond with your age-group, best events, and when you taper off weights. And if you competed in your youth/college, how does your current taper compare to then? Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I want to bring back this post. I'm swimming my first Nationals next weekend, and I lift heavy (Crossfit) 5-6 times a week. Sometimes the Crossfit workout is all cardio (box jumps, rower, run, etc). and sometimes it's, of course, lifting, or a mix of a skill (back squat, etc) and cardio (300 double unders and 300 air squats). When should I stop?? I didn't go this morning (today was the double unders/air squats with a back squat skill)....and when I stop lifting weights, do I stop all exercise completely except for my swim practices (3-4 times a week)? I'm 30 and I have been feeling my body taking a bit longer to recover. I realize I'm not going to place at Nats bc my times aren't there, but I still want to swim all personal bests in my three events. ANY advice, guidence would be helpful!!! My understanding is that crossfit is prescriptive - you are either doing WOD or not - so might be best just to cut it a few weeks out. If you can, I'd reduce the overal load more gradually, though.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I want to bring back this post. I'm swimming my first Nationals next weekend, and I lift heavy (Crossfit) 5-6 times a week. Sometimes the Crossfit workout is all cardio (box jumps, rower, run, etc). and sometimes it's, of course, lifting, or a mix of a skill (back squat, etc) and cardio (300 double unders and 300 air squats). When should I stop?? I didn't go this morning (today was the double unders/air squats with a back squat skill)....and when I stop lifting weights, do I stop all exercise completely except for my swim practices (3-4 times a week)? I'm 30 and I have been feeling my body taking a bit longer to recover. I realize I'm not going to place at Nats bc my times aren't there, but I still want to swim all personal bests in my three events. ANY advice, guidence would be helpful!!! My understanding is that crossfit is prescriptive - you are either doing WOD or not - so might be best just to cut it a few weeks out. If you can, I'd reduce the overal load more gradually, though.
Children
No Data