When to stop lifting weights for taper?

Former Member
Former Member
I searched for this subject in prior threads, but couldn't find specific answers. With Nationals just a few weeks away, I'm hoping responses posted here will be helpful for others as well. My question is, when do you stop lifting as part of your taper? Way back in college, I used to stop weights a full three weeks before big meets (competed in sprint free/fly). I'm still only competing in spring free and fly. I don't know if I should - keep lifting longer because yardage is way down compared to college stop lifting sooner because my 40-year-old body takes longer to recover or somewhere in the middleI certainly would appreciate it if folks would respond with your age-group, best events, and when you taper off weights. And if you competed in your youth/college, how does your current taper compare to then? Thanks!
Parents
  • Last Thursday was my last strength training where I pushed it. This week I'm doing the same number of sessions but a lot less time and not going to fatigue. The goal being to maintain strength not to make gains. For example, if I normally do three sets of ten, I just do one set and choose a weight that doesn't feel hard (not overly light either). If it starts to feel like it's work, I stop. For body weight moves, like pushups, I only do as many as I find comfortable. For things I time, like planks, I only do them for as many seconds as is comfortable. My 45 minute whole body routine is down to like 15 minutes. No sweating, no soreness. It's the most awesomely wussy "workout" ever. After today, I may not do any strength at all. I'm doing the 1000, 1650 AND the Friday 500. So this week, I'm swimming the same yards as I have been, the only adjustment is the strength training - and I'm finding myself already riding high in the water with fast times without the soreness from the strength work. I may continue my maintain only plan if I continue swimming well through the weekend.
  • Last Thursday was my last strength training where I pushed it. This week I'm doing the same number of sessions but a lot less time and not going to fatigue. The goal being to maintain strength not to make gains. For example, if I normally do three sets of ten, I just do one set and choose a weight that doesn't feel hard (not overly light either). If it starts to feel like it's work, I stop. For body weight moves, like pushups, I only do as many as I find comfortable. For things I time, like planks, I only do them for as many seconds as is comfortable. My 45 minute whole body routine is down to like 15 minutes. No sweating, no soreness. It's the most awesomely wussy "workout" ever. After today, I may not do any strength at all. I'm doing the 1000, 1650 AND the Friday 500. So this week, I'm swimming the same yards as I have been, the only adjustment is the strength training - and I'm finding myself already riding high in the water with fast times without the soreness from the strength work. I may continue my maintain only plan if I continue swimming well through the weekend.
Children
No Data