When to stop lifting weights for taper?

Former Member
Former Member
I searched for this subject in prior threads, but couldn't find specific answers. With Nationals just a few weeks away, I'm hoping responses posted here will be helpful for others as well. My question is, when do you stop lifting as part of your taper? Way back in college, I used to stop weights a full three weeks before big meets (competed in sprint free/fly). I'm still only competing in spring free and fly. I don't know if I should - keep lifting longer because yardage is way down compared to college stop lifting sooner because my 40-year-old body takes longer to recover or somewhere in the middleI certainly would appreciate it if folks would respond with your age-group, best events, and when you taper off weights. And if you competed in your youth/college, how does your current taper compare to then? Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Still, I was definitely significantly weaker, in terms of lifting weights, by the end than at the beginning even as I was swimming faster. How do you know if you did not lift ? You are not going to lose anything in 3 weeks of a good taper even if you never look at a weight - actually your max lift will most likely increase because of the rest. I actually tried that out after Nationals - I came back after not touching a weight in 4 weeks and did the exact same workout as the last lifting session. I could do 2-4 more reps on every excercise (I don't do max tests). How much taper ? Older swimmers need more rest -- I need more rest now than 20 years ago even though I am training less Sprinters and / or Men need more rest -- bigger muscles need more rest There will be a taper low -- the dreaded taper low, 10 days - 2 weeks into the taper for me. As everybody has said more taper is better than not enough. It's trial and error - nobody knows for certain, you may need 2-3 seasons to figure it out.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    Still, I was definitely significantly weaker, in terms of lifting weights, by the end than at the beginning even as I was swimming faster. How do you know if you did not lift ? You are not going to lose anything in 3 weeks of a good taper even if you never look at a weight - actually your max lift will most likely increase because of the rest. I actually tried that out after Nationals - I came back after not touching a weight in 4 weeks and did the exact same workout as the last lifting session. I could do 2-4 more reps on every excercise (I don't do max tests). How much taper ? Older swimmers need more rest -- I need more rest now than 20 years ago even though I am training less Sprinters and / or Men need more rest -- bigger muscles need more rest There will be a taper low -- the dreaded taper low, 10 days - 2 weeks into the taper for me. As everybody has said more taper is better than not enough. It's trial and error - nobody knows for certain, you may need 2-3 seasons to figure it out.
Children
No Data