When to stop lifting weights for taper?

Former Member
Former Member
I searched for this subject in prior threads, but couldn't find specific answers. With Nationals just a few weeks away, I'm hoping responses posted here will be helpful for others as well. My question is, when do you stop lifting as part of your taper? Way back in college, I used to stop weights a full three weeks before big meets (competed in sprint free/fly). I'm still only competing in spring free and fly. I don't know if I should - keep lifting longer because yardage is way down compared to college stop lifting sooner because my 40-year-old body takes longer to recover or somewhere in the middleI certainly would appreciate it if folks would respond with your age-group, best events, and when you taper off weights. And if you competed in your youth/college, how does your current taper compare to then? Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I'm 22, I swim the 50 free and 50 fly. The past two years for spring nationals I cut out lifting about two weeks before my first race, maybe a little more. For summer nationals this year I'm considering making that more like one week.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I'm 22, I swim the 50 free and 50 fly. The past two years for spring nationals I cut out lifting about two weeks before my first race, maybe a little more. For summer nationals this year I'm considering making that more like one week.
Children
No Data