sensitivity to chlorine

Former Member
Former Member
5 days ago I took a job at a local YMCA working at the front desk checking clients into the facility. I am nowhere near the vicinity of the 3 indoor pools, yet I smell the chlorine and there is a burning sensation in my nose and I begin to sneeze. I do not feel ill when there, just uncomfortable and embarrassed as well, as I have to deal with the public while I'm sneezing. My co-workers all say I will get used to the smell, but none of them have ever had any burning sensation or sneezing. My pharmacist suggests an antihistamine, and my husband feels that if I have to take medication in order to do my job, I shouldn't be working there. I tend to agree with him. Though I love my job, my health is more important, and will gladly resign. When I leave the building I am fine. I have no other allergies. Have any of you experienced this reaction before? I have swam in outdoor chlorinated pools many times and never had a problem. Any suggestions would help. Marta
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    I go along with Aquageek on this one. It might have nothing to do with the chlorine at all. I, too, have been sneezing a lot lately and it is not because of pool water. It could just be the change of season. My suggestion is go to your doctor and get an allergy test done. It might come from a totally unsuspecting source. Then you won't have to quit your job at all. Syd
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    I go along with Aquageek on this one. It might have nothing to do with the chlorine at all. I, too, have been sneezing a lot lately and it is not because of pool water. It could just be the change of season. My suggestion is go to your doctor and get an allergy test done. It might come from a totally unsuspecting source. Then you won't have to quit your job at all. Syd
Children
No Data