Dynamic Swimwear for today's muslim female/ Burqinis

Former Member
Former Member
My husband just sent me this link. http://www.ahiida.com/ And here I am complaining about a bit of soreness from doubles. I got it easy. Looks like the burqinis cost about as much as a fastskin.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Most Americans have strong opinions on violent Muslim extremists, but getting angry about a particular kind of swimwear that is accepted in another culture is taking it a little far. Regardless of its name, the "burqini" isn't made only for women that are forced into them by paternalistic societies such as the Taliban. Instead, it gives the opportunity for conservatively-dressed Muslim women in all countries to swim in coed environments without feeling like they have betrayed their belief systems. If that's the only thing that gets them in the pool, what's so "sad" about it? I don't agree with most of the Muslim beliefs personally, but I don't see a problem with them being more conservative than average, especially if it is of their own free will. Nor do I see a problem with the way the Amish dress, or any other social group that's sort of out of the mainstream with society today, as long as the members of it are doing so of their own volition. As long as they don't mind sharing the pool with me in my speedo!:laugh2: Yo, American, take a look at the calendar and then you might understand why a few of us have strong opinions on extremeism. BTW - no one here is bashing women. Conversely, we are saying the burqa can be used as a way to enforce antiquated and outdated rules of a paternalistic culture.
  • Former Member
    When my daughter, then aged 7, went to visit cousins in Arizona, she couldn't show off her picture of her wearing a Boa Constrictor, around her neck. The picture was taken when she was visiting some other relatives on her mother's side, up in Manaus, the main city of the Amazon River. Well, she had on bikini bottoms, but no tops, so the picture was considered "bad" by my american cousins. Or maybe they associated the snake with the strip girls. So evil is in the eyes of the beholder and is surely a huge part of culture, the way you dress. When younger, my wife had three sets of bikinis, one to wear at the local club, the other to wear at a beach in São Paulo (a more conservative state of Brazil) and a third to wear in Rio de Janeiro. The sizes of the bikinis varied with whoever would be watching. That said, I must say that at the swimming pool where I train, which is not a club, but a paid for institution, the ladies wear the long old fashioned maillots, forgot what they are called in English, the bathing suits. You don't want to be distracted by skimpy swim wear while working (training). I kinda think going topless is dumb and takes away more than it adds. And I have been naked in a Sauna in Europe, but felt terribly self-conscious and it didn't seem right. Too much time wearing bathing trunks in Spas have spoilt me, the mixed Spas. Lastly, at home, we went pretty much the nude way in the rooms and the huge tub in the bathroom, my wife, myself and the two kids...I had been brought up with too many "traumas" concerning nudity by my Mississippi mother and wanted a more relaxed attitude with my own two kids...we do go totally nude in the Sauna (small cubicle in my own bathroom) if the occasion happens and they are around, since both are grownups now. But just the four of us, the immediate family...billy fanstone
  • Former Member
    When I was learning to swim, one of the students quit because she was swallowing water during Ramadan, but her swimming attire was quite ordinary. On the other hand, another student wore a t-shirt and trunks for the entire session, for modesty, and he was a man. Another young girl used to swim at the pool I visited, and she always wore long board shorts and a baggy shirt, but I'm sure religion had nothing to do with it, rather anxiety over her figure. We see all sorts. Regardless of everything else, I expect that those who learn to swim fully clothed are better prepared for an accident. I think if I fell into the water dressed, I'd struggle mightily.
  • Former Member
    When my daughter, then aged 7, went to visit cousins in Arizona, she couldn't show off her picture of her wearing a Boa Constrictor, around her neck. The picture was taken when she was visiting some other relatives on her mother's side, up in Manaus, the main city of the Amazon River. Well, she had on bikini bottoms, but no tops, so the picture was considered "bad" by my american cousins. Or maybe they associated the snake with the strip girls. So evil is in the eyes of the beholder and is surely a huge part of culture, the way you dress. When younger, my wife had three sets of bikinis, one to wear at the local club, the other to wear at a beach in São Paulo (a more conservative state of Brazil) and a third to wear in Rio de Janeiro. The sizes of the bikinis varied with whoever would be watching. That said, I must say that at the swimming pool where I train, which is not a club, but a paid for institution, the ladies wear the long old fashioned maillots, forgot what they are called in English, the bathing suits. You don't want to be distracted by skimpy swim wear while working (training). I kinda think going topless is dumb and takes away more than it adds. And I have been naked in a Sauna in Europe, but felt terribly self-conscious and it didn't seem right. Too much time wearing bathing trunks in Spas have spoilt me, the mixed Spas. Lastly, at home, we went pretty much the nude way in the rooms and the huge tub in the bathroom, my wife, myself and the two kids...I had been brought up with too many "traumas" concerning nudity by my Mississippi mother and wanted a more relaxed attitude with my own two kids...we do go totally nude in the Sauna (small cubicle in my own bathroom) if the occasion happens and they are around, since both are grownups now. But just the four of us, the immediate family...billy fanstone Nothing wrong with nudity. We're all human...nothing to be ashamed of.
  • I believe anyone should wear what they want. Fort have I added enough punctuation. Couldn't agree more. Wear what you want. As long as someone's not picking it out for you. Punctuation sorta OK good. An improvement perhaps. From what I've read, Chuckie's a lucky woman. Devoted hubby who doesn't call women names. No wonder you're married so long.
  • Former Member
    I believe anyone should wear what they want. Our ladies in the past wore some pretty strange looking garments. Thank goodness some one invented the bikini. Speedos can be very revealing also. Fort have I added enough punctuation.
  • Former Member
    Interesting-my officemate is a Muslim girl from Malaysia who conforms to the strict dress laws - not to the point of wearing a burqua, but is always fully covered and wearing a headdress. When I showed her the website she thought it was one of the funniest things she'd ever seen, and wouldn't be caught dead in it!
  • Former Member
    Really! I think he's trying to say that my new Speedo pink camo suit is simply too obnoxious! Pink camo sounds nice! Just ordered myself a black camo jammer from the same Speedo collection I believe. Regarding the original content of this thread, I am sure it is real. And how very unfortunate IMHO.
  • Former Member
    I was in Egypt and did not like the fact that when I walked down the street with a male Egyptian swimmer he wanted to hold my hand. When I met an Egytian swimmer he wanted to hug me and kiss me. These things were not for me. Now does this mean they are wrong or we were out of step with their culture. Some of these actions or gestures are not seen as wrong in the Arab world. (Of course when you say a man wanted to kiss you, that was meant to be in a non-sexual sense. They'll kiss air, cheek-to-cheek, a la French General awarding a medal). One of the reasons that I left Egypt (for Canada) is that I felt like a misfit there. (Not better, but I just didn't feel comfortable all around......) Now, we all know that hugs can be manly and macho and don't really mean anything. Even Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and Rock (no, sorry) and Anthony Quinn used to hug other cowboys (although not on Mountains but in the Plains.)
  • Former Member
    Re the burgini, I'm for any step that enables any individual, male or female, to experience greater personal freedom to any extent in their life. There are cultural biases built into all of us, no matter how objective we think we are; be glad we live where we can celebrate differences rather than persecute them.