Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I am saying that she looks juiced, her athletic achievements, particularly when viewed in the context of widespread doping in sports, are suspect, and in all likelihood we will never know for sure.
  • Former Member
    Apparently, even a blood test is not proof positive for hgh as the synthetic hormone will often appear just as the natural. What does this mean? Any athletes who have muscle mass that appears to be larger than what is normally seen for their sex and age, are now labeled as dopers by those "in the know". Of course, unless they are actually caught by a positive test, they can continue to compete and take medals away from those who might be more deserving.
  • Former Member
    I doubt a 41 year old woman would risk her life by taking harmful substances. She looks that way from proper nutrition and years of hard work.
  • Former Member
    The thing I hate about accusing someone of doping is the accused has absolutely no way of proving their innocence. A lifetime of negative tests is not definitive proof that the athlete isn't doping. A lifetime of negative tests is proof-enough for me.
  • Former Member
    Aren't you the one who believes everything Big Mac says. I think he would love to train you at no charge. Don't let him get behind you he may tell you it is Vitamin B. I think you would believe him like some of the congressmen. Barry Bonds thanks you for this open minded view. If you don't think a 41 year old woman, or man, would take harmful substances then you are just plain naive. Go to your local bookstore and pick up a few random copies of sports enthusiast magazines. You will be amazed by the number of adds for supplements, some which carry warnings to not take them if you are subject to doping control.
  • Former Member
    Maybe something good in those coffin nails. Maybe I should start smoking. Good point. No 41 year old women would ever do something like, say, smoke cigarettes.
  • Former Member
    Good point. No 41 year old women would ever do something like, say, smoke cigarettes. I thought someone might try and take those comments out of context. We're talking about a conscientious athlete here, someone that measures her life by the most minute details. We're talking about Dara Torres, an incredible athlete. Caring about your sport is one thing, but how can a person spend their whole life training, being healthy, just to ignore the risks of substance abuse? As an athlete you care about your body, and your long-term health.
  • Former Member
    You know I watched every second on CNN. Big Mac to me is Brian McNamee and he is very little in stature and I question his ability to tell the truth. Tell a lie once change the lie to get you out of jail because of secret offers, means little if the second lie is false. I have no idea what you are talking about. Big Mac is Mark McGwire but I think you mean Brian McNamee, Roger Clemen's personal trainer, who you have accused of hearsay by saying he personally injected Roger with the juice. Clemens admitted he gave himself shots of B12, at his mother's urging. Did you watch or read the testimony?
  • Former Member
    I understand both sides of this, but I guess that the presumption of innocence seems to me, at least, to trump the pictures, even if that doesn't sit easily. I can't wait until we get to argue about genetic manipulation in the very near future... The "other" Dara Torres: www.sports-wired.com/.../Dara_Torres.html -LBJ
  • Former Member
    So how do you explain any athlete doping? I don't know about those people, and I'm certainly not going to provide excuses for them. The vast majority who benefit from sport should not be disillusioned because of other people's short-sighted decisions. Be proud to have your health!