Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Skip, I read the articles and find some very interesting and compelling points he has made. The Spitz comparison is worth noting. Spitz couldn't make the comeback let alone final at nationals, and he had considerably more talent than Dara. Skip, I couldn't replicate or come close to my college times even if I did train full time. And don't go telling me that the sport has changed that much. That's a load of crap. If you take away the cheatin' suits, the cheatin' dolphin kick on backstroke, the cheatin' dolphin kick on pullouts and look at the 8th place time from nationals, it hasn't improved that much over the last quarter of a century. The 200 free is proof positive. Take a second away for the full body suit, and the event is only about a second and a half faster 25 years later. Note, I got 4th at NCAAs in 1984 and qualified for finals with a 1:35.89. 25 years later with a full body suit a 1:34 low will still get you into the top 8. I'm not impressed with the field....... only the winners. I don't think the sport has changed that much Skip....... I do believe there are more drugs and illegal supplements out there. Also, check your age on Rowdy. He's only about 4 years older than me. In 1988 I was 26. John Smith (an old and jaded man)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Skip, I read the articles and find some very interesting and compelling points he has made. The Spitz comparison is worth noting. Spitz couldn't make the comeback let alone final at nationals, and he had considerably more talent than Dara. Skip, I couldn't replicate or come close to my college times even if I did train full time. And don't go telling me that the sport has changed that much. That's a load of crap. If you take away the cheatin' suits, the cheatin' dolphin kick on backstroke, the cheatin' dolphin kick on pullouts and look at the 8th place time from nationals, it hasn't improved that much over the last quarter of a century. The 200 free is proof positive. Take a second away for the full body suit, and the event is only about a second and a half faster 25 years later. Note, I got 4th at NCAAs in 1984 and qualified for finals with a 1:35.89. 25 years later with a full body suit a 1:34 low will still get you into the top 8. I'm not impressed with the field....... only the winners. I don't think the sport has changed that much Skip....... I do believe there are more drugs and illegal supplements out there. Also, check your age on Rowdy. He's only about 4 years older than me. In 1988 I was 26. John Smith (an old and jaded man)
Children
No Data