"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Anyone one have a recent breakthrough or currently working on one? Please tell us about it I thought I'd state my intentions as thats a little extra motivation in and of itself. I've been working since last may on my own breakthrough in the 50 free. I'd like to say it was alot of planning but some of it has been seat of the pants, and some of it more working around an idea. May 1st, I started cutting unneeded calories from the diet and going to 6 days a week in the pool plus 3 in the weight room (all on my lunch hour plus saturday mornings). My 6000m a week average went up to 11000m plus a complimentary weight program that targets the primary power groups for sprint free. I've focused all summer on broadening my aerobic base and adding targeted strength so that I can train my sprints faster, harder, and longer before fatigue sets in. Also, my weight has dropped from 250 to 225 since may so it can no longer be an excuse :angel: I feel like within the next month is the time i need to start moving into the sprint training program and out of the aerobic base phase to get ready for the winter meets. The goal is to drop at least 61 hundreths in the 50 from my time this past April and beat my PB college 50 free (15 years ago) at nationals 2013. This is a pretty lofty goal but seems like it could be doable with no mistakes in the race. A 100 free PB would be nice bonus too, but it is much further out of reach at this point and I am focusing on the 50. All of my training is done and planned on my own. A few times a year I solicit the opinion of a regionally renowned USAS stroke coach to fix any anomalies in my stroke/turns/starts. I've gotten some of my training intervals down to the same repeats we used to do back in college, but they're done smarter now rather than blindly pounding garbage yards. Current side projects to go with this training include: I plan to make a clamp-on or ratchet strap back foot fin to affix to the blocks at home so I can get a feel for what the blocks at nationals will be like with the fin and capitalize on it. I need to take and study extensive video of my starts and turns and delete any unnecessary parts or habits that add time to the swim. I am hoping/thinking I can find 2-3 tenths of time lost on this part alone. Anyone else in masters been crazy enough to partake in a whole year of training for 6 tenths?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Anyone one have a recent breakthrough or currently working on one? Please tell us about it I thought I'd state my intentions as thats a little extra motivation in and of itself. I've been working since last may on my own breakthrough in the 50 free. I'd like to say it was alot of planning but some of it has been seat of the pants, and some of it more working around an idea. May 1st, I started cutting unneeded calories from the diet and going to 6 days a week in the pool plus 3 in the weight room (all on my lunch hour plus saturday mornings). My 6000m a week average went up to 11000m plus a complimentary weight program that targets the primary power groups for sprint free. I've focused all summer on broadening my aerobic base and adding targeted strength so that I can train my sprints faster, harder, and longer before fatigue sets in. Also, my weight has dropped from 250 to 225 since may so it can no longer be an excuse :angel: I feel like within the next month is the time i need to start moving into the sprint training program and out of the aerobic base phase to get ready for the winter meets. The goal is to drop at least 61 hundreths in the 50 from my time this past April and beat my PB college 50 free (15 years ago) at nationals 2013. This is a pretty lofty goal but seems like it could be doable with no mistakes in the race. A 100 free PB would be nice bonus too, but it is much further out of reach at this point and I am focusing on the 50. All of my training is done and planned on my own. A few times a year I solicit the opinion of a regionally renowned USAS stroke coach to fix any anomalies in my stroke/turns/starts. I've gotten some of my training intervals down to the same repeats we used to do back in college, but they're done smarter now rather than blindly pounding garbage yards. Current side projects to go with this training include: I plan to make a clamp-on or ratchet strap back foot fin to affix to the blocks at home so I can get a feel for what the blocks at nationals will be like with the fin and capitalize on it. I need to take and study extensive video of my starts and turns and delete any unnecessary parts or habits that add time to the swim. I am hoping/thinking I can find 2-3 tenths of time lost on this part alone. Anyone else in masters been crazy enough to partake in a whole year of training for 6 tenths?
Children
No Data